amazing northland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
May 4th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

seeking the pirates' treasures

as I've promised last time, it's time to stop criticising New Zealand bcos there is always something unbelievable on. and I am 2 weeks late with this blog again, so there is lots more awaiting to come.

here is the thing I've believed up to now that it exised in pirates' stories only. the best thing about these caves was that it is not really a famous tourist attraction so it is not too crowded in there in Whangaroa. I have found them as a point of interest on my map. frankly, I would have missed these caves and skip the most beautiful part. but fortunately, I have met Mark and Sharon, really friendly couple (as most locals here) and Mark is working as a guide on kayak trips so he knew the region and he showed me the sights.
there are all these caves, there was a corridor like 50 meters long and you can go through by kayak - sometimes it was even to narrow to be able to paddle - just go with the flow. and all these beaches in the caves, where you are protected from the ozone hole, haha
for the rest of it, see the pics, it was simply awesome!!


90 mile beach

this beach is located in the far north of new zealand. nearby there is a town Kaitaia with two big communities of Maori people and Dalmatians (!!)
the main reason to come here for the most travellers is visiting the lighthouse at the northern end of NZ - Cape Reinga. and besides, there are some sand dunes where one can go sledging or doing whatever he likes.
the main reason for me was 90 mile beach - this is why I've boughjt a car for such a short period of time, because no rental company allows driving along the beach.
so here I was and i've done it - but it was not that easy.
there are some streams crossing the beach and it is recommended to cross them as close to the sea as possible because they are the widest and the shallowest there. on the first day, I went straight into on the upper side of the beach it was far deeper than i thought, the water has splashed into the engine place I've barely come out and besides, only one or two pistons were working because water intruded the electrical contacts probably.
anyway, the car worked fine on the next day so I started my so desired drive. you can drive the beach only during 5 hrs of low tide. it is advisable to stay on the stiff wet sand, because you can get stuck on the soft dry.
the stubbern Slovenian must always do the things his way, driving the soft sands as well and got stuck, of course. I've found some pieces of wood to place them under the front wheels and started digging the sand under the engine. in any other situation it would be lots of fun, but here the high tide was coming in 2 hrs and therewith goodbye, old black friend... fortunately, there came a 4WD toyota and they have pulled me out.
the only exit from the beach at the northern end is Te Paki stream, where you drive along the stream with the sandy bottom. you must not stop while in water due to the quicksand. I've followed the toyota, for just in case. and I've done it!!! indeed, it is not recommended for 2WD vehicles, but as you see, it's possible.

i had exhausting, but funny days up there 😊)


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

cave for pirates to hidecave for pirates to hide
cave for pirates to hide

there was a beach inside and a waterfall flowing down over the cave entrance over the tree's roots by Sharon
our Maori landlordour Maori landlord
our Maori landlord

he went fishing so we have met in the harbour
drivind along the beachdrivind along the beach
drivind along the beach

everything OK so far
getting stuckgetting stuck
getting stuck

not that OK any more :))


9th May 2008

WARNING Testosterone level high
Great to see some posts and pictures from down under. Keep making photos and blogging. Picture "Exit from the cave" looks so ... so ... feminine ... arghhh....

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb