We are Family / Happy Birthday


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 20th 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

One of the real highlights of our time in Napier was being able to meet up with family members - for James this is - whom we had not met before. After helpful research from my cousin Carol, we were able to contact a second cousin, Susan, and her husband who live in a beautiful house high up above the town, with great views out over the sweeping coastline of Hawkes Bay. An added bonus was that Sue was also hosting a visit from her mum and dad at the time, who live in Australia. So, we also met up with James' cousin, Zoe and her husband Fred. James and Zoe had never met before, so there was a lot of catching up to do during the afternoon and through the lovely meal that Sue prepared. So there was much talk of the Euston clan in general, and of Uncle Bill and his remarkable war time exploits in particular. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Hamish and Sue and their lovely family. We were made to feel so welcome. James has now, finally, after 58 years, met all his cousins.

The morning after was of course the start of Andrew's special birthday. We say start, because with the time difference, we can probably make it last two whole days. We began with a breakfast muffin in Napier, then progressed to lunch in a beautiful winery outside the city (recommended by Hamish - thank you), then a long but lovely drive to Wellington. We have had a brief walk around the very smart downtown area. Even in the dark, we can tell how smart it is. Fittingly, we will be ending this most important of days sleeping in one of the city centre car parks - so that we are well placed to catch an early morning ferry across to the South Island. That's how to do one's half-century in real style!

I'm beginning to like this 50 lark if its all about eating cakes drinking good wine and eating fine food, i'm not sure about sleeping in a car park though! We'll keep you posted

Thanks for all the birthday messages and cards its good to know that you were thinking of me lots of love to you all


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st February 2012
Hamish and Reed

Good car park guide to NZ!
If nothing else you will be able to contribute with your vast experience to the Good Car Park Guide to New Zealand!!
26th February 2012

Happy Birthday
Happy Birthday, Andrew Being 50 is not too bad and at least you are celebrating in style. I am enjoying reading your blog. Best wishes Christine

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb