Last Days in the North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Wellington at mid day on the 8th and knew we had so much to do in so little time so we quickly checked into our hotel and hit the road running.
We had planned to visit the National Museum called Te Papa on the waterfront and duly set off and found it with no trouble. what a great place! We could easily of spent so much more time there, the interactive displays and exhibits were really great. We only had time to experience the 4th floor in some detail. This floor dealt with the early explorers from the polynesian islands that first settled in the lands and the first europeans to inhabit the islands. We could so easily of spent much more time here but time being short headed off to the second floor for a too quick look at the natural history of the country looking at the geological makeup and creation of the islands. Very good displays. Enough culture lets get back to the tourist stuff.

Early the next day we set off for Days Bay across the harbour and via Sommes island a bird sanctuary. We did not get off here but carried onto the bay and took a stroll into the village of Eastbourne and then returned on the next ferry. A pleasant trip which gave great views of the city and bays.
Now still running we set off for the cable car and up to the botanical gardens, I'll leave each of you to imagine this and move onto the last trip of the day apart from to the pub and to a restaurant.
You will all be too aware that Shirley is scared of missing things so again we set off in the car this time and drove to Victoria heights. A mountain top viewing platform which gives brilliant views down onto the city and bays and islands beyond.
Phew what a day, did I need something to eat and a pint or two. (OK so counting is not a strong point)

Next day away we went to the south island on the 11:35 flight to Queenstown.

Advertisement



12th February 2011

Think you lost the blog for Tongariro crossing....let me guess dad...mums fault?? That museum is pretty cool huh!! Shame Sheila was not in town to show you round Days Bay (she took me to the beehive and we watched parliament in action!!). So next stop Queenstown...home of the extreme sports....Billy Connolly did his naked bungy there....he reccommends it! When in Rome! Love yas! xx
12th February 2011

public
Enjoying your blogs but just hope I wont have to walk so much if I get there!! Glad you're having a good time luv Kath x
12th February 2011

sounds wonderfull
sounds great you 2 . Teegs and l are realy enjoying reading about your travels. take care look foward to reading more,love us 2xx
13th February 2011

Lovely to hear from you Marl, will you send me Marg and Mike's address please
13th February 2011

You would love the scenery here Kath, although i think it is safer to walk sometimes as some of the roads are bloody scary...

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb