More Cricket


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 17th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So the 1st test match was at Hamilton. The day before the game Chris and I made our flag, which took hours, whilst it poured down with rain. However the next morning it was clear and hot. As you will know by now England lost the game, after some poor batting from our top order and some poor bowling from Harmison. Best moments were Sidebottom's hat-trick and Ambrose's 50.

We met with some nice people (John, Babs, Paul, Michela and Andy) and spent several hours most evenings discussing the days play. The atmosphere at the game was good, with lots of singing from the Barmy Army. The good part was that we sat on a grass bank, a great way to watch cricket.

Following the game we went to Auckland for 3 nights. We went to an Arctic centre and saw penguins, then went to the Sky Tower for sunset and views over Auckland. Our final night in Auckland was near the airport as we all had flights the next day. Chris and I were off to Wellington for the 2nd test and Miles and Mandy were off to Melbourne to spend some time with family.

We were up at 4.15 am to catch our flight to Wellington. After the flight we had 2 buses to where we were staying then another bus into town and a short walk to the ground. We managed to do all that and change clothes and get some food and got to the ground at 11am. We met up with the others that we had met in Hamilton and after the game went back to the pub that the Barmy Army had taken over in town for a few drinks. We eventually got back to our room at 10.30 pm - absolutely knackered.

The next few days were hot and sunny and like Hamilton we were sitting on a grass bank. We spent most evenings in the pub with the others, singing with the Barmy Army. However unlike Hamilton we bowled really well (mainly because Harmison wasn't playing) and won the game this morning before lunch. Again a really good atmosphere at the ground - loads of singing.

We are now back at our room and are going back into town later to meet up with everyone and have a few beers to celebrate England's win. Tomorrow we fly back to Auckland then we are off to Melbourne. Chris and I have 3 days there before we fly to Sydney and meet up with Mandy and Miles again. So I will post again when we are in Australia.

Summary of New Zealand - it's very nice but very expensive.
Love to you all

Tina

p.s. And Fulham won this week-end, thanks for the text Matt. What a great day!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb