We're in Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 26th 2008
Published: March 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in New Zealand I managed to catch a cold, what a great souvenir! We have been in Australia over a week and I still have it - can't believe Chris didn't get it.

Melbourne was our first stop and what a great place. Our hostel was very central to the town, and with the free tram that circled the town we managed to see most things. We went to Queen Victoria Market, a massive market with everything on sale, including kangaroo meat, veg, clothes, wine. It was just before Easter so the market was packed.

We also went to the Melbourne Museum and the Immigration Museum. Both were really interesting, especially the Immigration Musuem with photo's and film's showing the journey's people made from Europe to Australia in the 50's and 60's. One of the Art Galleries had a showing of aboriginal art that was interesting - some were good, some rubbish (in my opinion).

We were also lucky that the Aussie Rules Football season has just started so we went to a game at the MCG. It was Carlton v Richmond (we were cheering Richmond as there is a Richmond near us at home) and they won. Still not quite sure of the rules (if there are any) but it was a good game. And the MCG is an amazing sports venue. There were 72500 people at the game.

After three days we were on our way to Sydney and to meet up again with Mandy and Miles. Once we were all together we went to Darling Harbour for a few beers and to catch up with news. Mandy now looks pregnant and has had to buy some maternity clothes as she can't comfortably do her shorts up.

Darling Harbour is very nice. Lots of expensive bars and restaurants with loads of nice boats moored alongside. The following day was our main sightseeing day. Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Botanical Gardens, The Rocks. The Opera House was much bigger and better than I expected, and with the Bridge in the background was the perfect picture.

On Easter Monday we met up with Chris Vine who I used to work with in London, and he also played cricket for Chris's team Goldleaf. It was really good to see him and his wife Janey again, and their son Oscar who was born in October. We spent the day on Chris's parents boat - sailing around, drinking beer and wine, eating prawns and chicken and sitting in the sun. It was a fantastic day and we saw some different parts of Sydney. Thank you so much Bob and Sandy (and Bill the dog) - you will definitely see us again next time we are in Sydney!

Tuesday was the day for me and Miles to do the Harbour Bridge walk. Mandy wasn't able to do it, and Chris didn't fancy it so it was just us two. After a safety briefing we got kitted out with shoes, jumpsuit, headphones and a device that attaches you to the cord for the walk. It was really good and although it was raining slightly you could still see for miles. I would recommend this trip - although it isn't cheap.

Wednesday we hired a car. After discussing with Viney's family the merits of going to Cairns by bus or car, the overwhelming advice was to go by car. So we have three weeks to get to Cairns before our flight to Alice Springs. In the afternoon we got the ferry to Manly. A lovely place, nice beaches and restaurants. We met up in the evening with Chris, Janey and Oscar and had a great meal in a restaurant by the sea. A lovely way to end our stay in Sydney.

So today we are picking up the car and heading north.

Hope you are all well. Love to you all.

Tina












Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb