We're in New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 15th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We thought that the flight from Chile to New Zealand was going to be a nightmare, but we had the wind behind us and it only took 11 hours. We crossed the international dateline on the way so arrived at Auckland airport at 3.15 am on Thursday morning, having left Chile at 11pm on Tuesday night. We managed to stay awake all day and haven't really suffered from jetlag at all.

We picked up our campervan and went to the nearest supermarket to get brown sauce, bacon, baked beans and other foods that we had been missing. Mandy and I also went for a haircut, not the best I've had but it was only 10 pounds! Then off to our first campsite. I wasn't sure what to expect from the campsites but that have been very good. They have massive shared kitchens, good bathroom facilities, TV rooms and internet at most sites.

So we've been to a hot beach near Auckland, where you dig a hole in the sand and lie in the hot water. There is volcanic rock 2k beneath the sand which heats the water and in some places the water was too hot to stand in.

Near Rotorua we went to a hot spring place where there are geysers spouting hot water all the time, plus thermal hot mud pools. They are all heated from volcanic activity. There is also a maori section at the place where we learned about the history of the maori and saw a song and dance show, where they performed the haka. We also had sweetcorn that had been cooked in a thermal pool.

Near Napier we went to Huka Falls, a waterfall where the water was very blue and clear. Very beautiful. We treated ourselves that night and went for a curry. The first since we've left home. Chicken balti, nan bread, onion bhaji - fantastic.

Napier is known for being an art deco town, and the buildings were all in that style. There was going to be an art deco week-end a few days after we were there and we saw a few people dressed up and lots of vintage cars.

We managed to watch the 2nd cricket game on TV, wished we hadn't! We have tickets for the 5th one day game, and the first and second tests so we're hoping that they get better!

We've spent the last few days in Wellington. A really nice town, easy to get around, lots of shops, restaurants and bars. The only thing is the prices are the same as in London, we're used to cheap food and beer.

Later today we are off on the ferry to the south island, to see glaciers, mountains and hopefully jet boating.

Hope you all are keeping well.

Love

Tina


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb