The South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 22nd 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So our adventure in the South Island started off with a flat tyre. We pulled into a petrol station and after a short while we were on our way with the spare tyre in place. The boys did an excellent job! It then started to rain and was quite cold. Not a great introduction to the South.

We drove south and went to the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers. Both were quite impressive, although small compared to what we have seen in South America. After there we went to Wanaka, a pretty town next to a lake. Thankfully the weather was much better there so we spent some time sitting in the sun. Wanaka is also home to Puzzling World, where there is a two storey maze and illusion rooms. We spent a few hours there before driving off to Queenstown.

Then main thing about Queenstown is the activities on offer; bungy jumping, white water rafting, jet boating etc. We decided to go for the jet boating down the Shotover canyon. It was great fun. The boat went about 70 kph and the driver did loads of 360 degree spins, as well as driving really close to the rocks. It sounds more dangerous than it was, we didn't have seatbelts or wear crash helmets. We thought about going white water rafting, but it is so expensive our budget couldn't stretch to both. Queenstown is a great place, a ski resort during the winter and has been the only place where we have seen people younger than us. At all other campsites it is like being at a saga convention.

After Queenstown it was off to Milford Sound. We decided not to do a boat trip (the cost plus we have done boat trips down fiords in Chile), but the views from the water's edge were nice.

We have also been to Mount Cook which was spectacular. The views on the way were stunning. Blue lakes with the mountains behind and the sun shining - fantastic. We also walked to the Tasman Glacier which was huge, and very different to the other glaciers we have seen in New Zealand.

Today we have arrived at Christchurch. The main reason for coming here is for the 5th ODI between New Zealand and England tomorrow. We have booked the closest campsite to the ground so that we haven't too far to travel back after the game. It is very cloudy here today, lets hope the weather brightens up for tomorrow.

Hope you are all well back at home, we are all having a great time.

Love to you all

Tina


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb