Is Tongariro Crossing the most beautiful day walk in NZ?


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Walking in the fog again...Walking in the fog again...Walking in the fog again...

Still optimistic, hoping for a change
The answer to the question might come but first there was Friday, that started in Auckland. Yes we have been in Rotorua the day before and for those familiar with NZ map is sounds awkward probably but we went there for some errands ("sidurim"), and then drove back south all the way to the village of Whakapapa, in Tongariro national park.
We had a funny error on the way. We chose some way that looked nice in the map, better than driving just on the highways. We visited a nice waterfall and then continued on a gravel (unsealed) road, nice views, drove for maybe an hour, just to find ourselves back near the waterfall, coming from the other side! We took some wrong turn probably and took a loop road... well after that we continued straight on the highway.

The forecast for Saturday in the Tongariro national park was "fine day" - great to do the walk. When we woke up at 6AM it rained and we didn't see anything, but they had there a "meteofax" recieved at 6:22AM still claiming fine weather. So we started to walk... we climbed up the mountain hoping that by the time we get
The emerald lakesThe emerald lakesThe emerald lakes

Between the clouds
to the top it will clear. Well, it didn't. It just got worse. We walked 6 hours, part of it in heavy rain and some hail, and saw nothing of the view. We didn't know what was there 20 meters from us. We vaguely saw the famous emerald lakes... Just at the last part we got to see some views but they don't count at all, those are not the volcanic views you go up to see. At the car park in the end, waiting for the bus, everybody was wet, cold, and disappointed. We will have to come back here if the weather improves!
So back to the question in the title, the answer is "I have no idea!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Amazing rock colorsAmazing rock colors
Amazing rock colors

Near the end of the track


Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb