Adventurous New Zealand Day 3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
January 19th 2016
Published: January 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We had planned on doing the Taronga pass today but thought the weather would be too bad – but we were wrong – anyway we slept in a bit relatively speaking. Mary loaded us her car and Em and I headed off to have a look around the area. We stopped off at a lookout looking at out at Lake Taupo. The lake is so large we kept thinking we were looking out at the ocean! We then went down to see a Maori village which looked out to Motuopuhi Island and gave a history of the area. As we left the village we were followed by a very friendly duck. I thought the duck was left well behind us then I got whacked by a wing as it flew over my right shoulder to land infront of us and escort us from the premises…not sure if he was happy to see us go or wanting to spend the last moments with us!! We then went for a walk around lake Rotopounamu. Everywhere we went in New Zealand the scenery was amazing and this was no exception – the rainforest was so calm and then we walked out onto a beach next to the water and had a bit of a sit looking at the view…it was a nice walk.

We went with Mary to her favourite restaurant Braxmere which is right next to the lake and had a nice long lunch. Mary then took Em and me on a tour of her home and the places that are special to her family. It was an honour to see these special places and hear the stories of the history and tradition of Marys family. To end the day Mary took us to Bulli Point – just a small 10 metre cliff jump off into the ocean…The weather was a bit choppy but this holiday had been full of firsts and adventure and were weren’t ready to end it just yet!! So before I knew it Em had jumped off the cliff into the ocean followed by Mary and then me. We had survived!! If the weather was nicer we would have gone again but the waves were a bit choppy and it was a bit hairy trying to get back out of the water so instead we took ourselves off to the Tokaanu Thermal Pools for a long soak….we saw the thermal pools behind the baths and they were so hot the soil around it was boiling…so we decided to just stick to going to the pools you pay for...We had a relatively early night as Em and I were getting ready for our big adventure the next day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



24th January 2016

If all your friends decided to jump off a cliff.........
Should have read this post before commenting on the previous one... At least with your 7 metre waterfall you had the support of a boat..... A ten metre drop into the ocean... Really?? So proud of your determination to leave no experience wondering whether you should have just done it!!! xxxx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb