Cricket in Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
November 16th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Taupo is south of Hamilton and situated in the centre of the North Island and a very popular tourist attraction, which bosts one of the best lakes in the world (Lake Taupo). Taupo in the past has experienced a lot of volcanic action, which has created the stunning scenic views around the town. I was there for 3 days with the Waikato Valley Cricket team, the representative side for our area, playing in the Fergus Hickey cup against other regions. This is a very important 3 days for a lot of the cricketers as it was a chance to impress the Northern District selectors (the 1st class team around Hamilton), which showed in the standard of cricket.

Our first game was against Hamilton the holders of the Hawk cup (meaning they are the best team in New Zealand), who field a team full of first class and ‘A’ grade cricketers. The pitch was a belter after 5 days of hot weather and it was good playing back on grass wickets, especially this one. The wicket was on Pumus, which caused a “Doink” noise every time it hit the ground. Hamilton batted first and they started off very well, with the top 5 all playing/played for Northern Districts on a good wicket I thought we were going to be chasing 400+. I came on to bowl for the last 16 overs, and ended with figures of 8 overs 2 wickets for 52 runs; very reasonable especially the way they were batting and the stage of the game. Hamilton set us a target of 276, a tough but gettable score on that wicket.

Opening the batting I was pretty nervous as I was up against some good cricketers, and the pressure of being the overseas. A few of the lads let me know of it when I got to the crease, as they knew me from Milo cricket coaching in October. I started off well with two leg glances to fine leg. My nerves settled with a crunching drive through the covers and I continued to be the aggressor. Brendon and me put on 80 for the first wicket inside the 12th over, a great start. I then got out for 43 off 46 balls, after hitting the ball into my foot and ballooning to 1st slip. It was one of my best innings hitting 8 boundaries and looking very comfortable. We ended up 30 short, a game we should of won with the start we had. The lack of experience and failure to make 40 into 80’s or 100’s cost us the game we were expected to lose.

That evening our cool down consisted of a swim in the Lake, and it was bloody freezing!!! A meal and few drinks with the lads capped off a good day. However, Monday was not to be so good. A day a heavy rain meant no cricket. We were due to play Northlands, another very talented team.

Tuesday was a good warm but windy day. We played Poverty Bay, a team we were expected to beat. We started off very well, reducing them to 80 for 8, however some sensible batting got them too 136 all out. Playing on the 2nd / 3rd pitch and the rain the previous day batting was a lot harder than Sunday. The pitch we were playing crossed over with another pitch, which meant that you could be fielding at fine leg but standing next to mid-on on the next pitch. Brendon and me started well once again, putting on 40 for the 1st wicket from 8 overs, with Brendon being the aggressor this time. After 3 cover drive boundaries, I got out to the experience Jefferon (a left arm spin bowler who played first class cricket for many year at Wellington) snicking a regulation catch to 1st slip for 14. Once again we failed to reach the total after a good start. Only needing 1 run to tie with two wickets left we bottled it!!

I had a great time in Taupo and once again the boys made me very welcome. It was great to play at that standard and I look forward to playing the two-day cricket and the possibility of playing ‘A’ grade cricket for Northern Nights.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb