Freezing.....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 1st 2008
Published: April 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kiwi BusKiwi BusKiwi Bus

Our Kiwi Experience bus!
Left Auckland on Friday 28th March, had a lady driver! Yay, go ladies driving buses, also she had the best name... LAUREN! YAY, go Laurens! Mel says 'I was stuck with two of them driving me mad :P' She loves me really.

We went up to the top of a big hill, and looked out over the whole of Auckland, and it was pretty cool. There were cows grazing in the bowl of a volcanic crater at the top of the hill... We then went to a place called Cathedral Cove, we had to walk 45 minutes each way to get there, up and down hills and steps... GRR steps! It was pretty down there, and we took some pictures and then walked back through a little foresty bit and played on a tree.

We got to Mercury Bay (Whitianga) and had spaghetti bolognese cooked for us and it was quite good. We spent some time with all the new people we have met, and then we headed off to bed quite early....(about 10).

The next day (Saturday) we decided that we would like to go horse riding, so we had to cycle 5 miles there, and 5
Cave MonsterCave MonsterCave Monster

Lauren being crazy in a cave!
miles back. We went for a 2 hour trek over the hills and through little bits of the forest. We also rode through rivers and streams. Mel's horse was called Crystal, and Mellie liked her.. she got to canter up the hill... YAY! My horse was called Amigo, and he was gorgeous...

Next day we left Whitianga and headed on to Rotorua, it was very smelly. That evening, we went to a Maori evening at a place just outside of Rotorua. It was amazing. We had to 'paddle' the bus there, and our driver lady was a bit mad!

We saw the ceremonial picking up of the twig, and the Maori's did some of their intimidating dancy type things... Then we went through to the village bit and talked to some Maori's and they told us about some traditions and things... It was really interesting..

We saw them dancing and singing, and doing the Haka... Mel liked that. Food was amazing, cooked underground in an earth oven it was really nice, and pudding was great!

We got back and spent a bit of time in the Lava Bar. Mel did some crazy dancing and managed to
MelMelMel

Mellie by the fire at the Maori evening.
get glass in her foot. Lauren was amazing and fixed it for her... GO LAUREN! WOOH! Mel says sorry she didn't tell you Andrew, she forgot, and sorry you are ill.

Monday we left Rotorua and headed for Waitomo. We did some Black Water Rafting... in caves.. in the pitch black and freezing cold water. Lauren and Mel got frozen! We had to climb down into the caves, and then floated along in sort of big rubber rings. We saw glowworms, (actually glow maggots) and eels. Also lots of rocks and waterfalls. To get down the waterfalls you had to put the rubber ring on your arse, and then lean back and fall off the waterfall into the water. Mel made a huge splash! YAY! GO MELLIE!

We floated along the cave system, and got out at the other end... When we got back to the centre, we had tomato soup and toasted bagels which were really nice.

That night, we went down to the local bar for a bbq, and it was really good food. Then we stayed for a bit afterwards chatting with all the other Kiwi Experience people. Mel went back to the room
HobbitonHobbitonHobbiton

Place where they filmed Lord of the Rings
at about ... and I stayed with some other people. It ended up being me, Sarina, Lloyd (caving guide we had), Justin, another guy off the bus (an accountant!) and the bartender. Sarina was doing a challenge where she had to drink 11 pints of beer (different types) and she won a beer mug. She finally finished it at 12:30am, and hour and a half after the bar closed! Then we headed back, and I went to bed once I had managed to get back into our room after locking myself out in the corridor.

Today we came down to Taupo, and on the way, we stopped at some caves, and had a look around, saw some GIANT bugs with stingers... they were scary looking! We also stopped at a waterfall.. which was really pretty.

Tomorrow we are being picked up by a bus at 10:45am, and we will reach the airport at 11am. Then we will be put into a plane, flown up to 15,000 feet and then 'shoved out' with someone else attached to us (hopefully). In other words, we are sky diving, and it is a scary thought!

Will blog again tomorrow once we
Caving GroupCaving GroupCaving Group

Our Black water Rafting Group
have been up and jumped!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

LaurenLauren
Lauren

Lauren and a tree
Tree and MelTree and Mel
Tree and Mel

Mellie hanging off a tree.
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

The big, blue waterfall in Taupo
Fluffy BunnyFluffy Bunny
Fluffy Bunny

Mel and Lauren with a big fluffy angora bunny at a bunny shearing farm....! FUNNY!
Truck for Mel's mumTruck for Mel's mum
Truck for Mel's mum

An American style truck, they are all over OZ and NZ...


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb