Huka Falls


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
October 24th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Steve in 'copter Without 'L' Plates!Steve in 'copter Without 'L' Plates!Steve in 'copter Without 'L' Plates!

'No Steve, wait, you've not done Stage 3 Landing Skills yet!'
We made our way from Hamilton to Taupo, hoping to stay on the Municipal Motor Camp right by the river, like we did during our visit in 2006. On our arrival to Taupo, we discovered that the Motor Camp has gone and it's now a reserve-cum-show ground. Why do Councils get rid of things that people like to use?! It was a lovely spot to stay at, right by the river, lake and town, and it seemed to be really popular.... ??!!

So, we decided to stay at the 'Top 10 Holiday Park' up the road, which is a really nice 5 star campsite with great facilities, but it's not quite the same as being by the lakeside or river. Perhaps we'll have to 'free camp' by the river sometime while we're here...

We still can't quite get our heads around the fact that everyone is sleeping back home whilst we're up and doing... We've had our day by 6:00 PM and the day is only just beginning in the UK. As I was watching the sun set yesterday evening I was trying to picture the Monday morning effort to get work in the UK... :-(

Seeing we're here in Taupo, we decided to have a go on the Hukafalls Jet boat ride - it's a 30 minute ride in a jet boat along the Waikato River up to the Huka Falls, bombing along at 80 km/ hour, almost crashing into the trees and river bank, and the driver does the trademark 360 degree spins several times up and down the river.

They give you a spray jacket as you do get a bit wet when the driver spins the boat, but he twirls his finger in the air to warn you he's about to spin so you can prepare yourself and duck. It's a cool ride... more cool for the guys who run it though - they're making a mint - $95 NZD/ person x 14 persons/ boat x 4 boats (perhaps not all out at the same time doing 360 spins?!?) x at least 8 hour/ day x 7 days/ week x at least 40 weeks/ year = LARGE WODGE. And then it's $40 to buy 3 printed photos, digital versions of which are only available on their website in 2 weeks time... hmmm. So, watch this space for cheesy photos of us on the boat.

We also had a play about in Taupo AC Baths, a leisure pool just across the road from the campsite. The water is geothermally heated and is about 37 degrees! We came out like prunes after an hour and a half. At last, we feel warm! We're staying around Taupo for a while, but moving onto 'DeBretts Thermal Resort', a campsite with even hotter geothermal pools to broil in!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hukafalls JetHukafalls Jet
Hukafalls Jet

Not us in it!
Hukafalls JetHukafalls Jet
Hukafalls Jet

Not us...
Hukafalls JetHukafalls Jet
Hukafalls Jet

Not us...!
Hukafalls JetHukafalls Jet
Hukafalls Jet

Again, not us!


26th October 2007

Huka Falls
Hey guys, hope you didn't get too wet. When i experienced it i got off the boat and was soaked to the skin, looked like i peed myself!!! We really enjoy reading your comments. Keep up the good work! claire and kerry
27th October 2007

AAh reminds me of the time i lived in the car park at hukka falls for the night.. happy days and it was freezin then so chickened out of the boats... keep the blogs comin they're brill ,it has to be you jules cos litchie has no edumukation like u :-)
27th October 2007

Cheers Claire & Kerry!
Still waiting for the photos of us on the boat to be loaded on their website then I'll put them on here if I can. Hope you's are ok, keep in touch, Jools n Steevo :-)
27th October 2007

Cheers Dom!
Steve said he remembers you telling him that the gates were locked at 6pm and you couldn't get out of the car park! Hope all is well with you and family, regards to The Boys - 'missin' you all', Joooooools n Lichie-o

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb