Lake Taupo & Hot Pools


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
October 26th 2007
Published: October 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lake Taupo is about the size of Singapore! It was created by volcanic eruptions, the main one around 186 AD, noted by the Chinese, who witnessed a blackening of the sky, and recorded by the Romans who saw the sky turn 'blood-red'. Reportedly, as the underground magma chamber emptied, the roof slumped leaving a huge steep-sided crater, since filled by, and forming part of, Lake Taupo. Evidence of the explosion remains all around, with beaches made of pumice.

The main road from town, alongside the lake is lined with motels and private houses, some of which are fortunate enough to be right on the lake edge, with their own stretch of 'beach' in front. The De Bretts Spa Resort we're currently staying at is set back up on the hillside with partial views of the lake. We're staying here for most of next week as we got a half-price deal through our NZMCA membership, with discounted entry into the Hot Pools.

Taupo Hot Springs Spa's natural water flows from the Onekeneke Stream and is cooled down to temperatures ranging from 38 to 42 degrees C. The hottest pool is bath-water hot! It's not chlorinated but surely the heat does
SwansSwansSwans

'.... stand up taller, come on, we'll scare him off.'
away with any bugs, although there's still a risk of getting amoebic meningitis if you stick your head underwater, so best to avoid that. It's so wonderfully relaxing, even better when Steve's not trying to dive-bomb in your face. 'Don't go under the water Steve... oh too late. Don't blame me if you get amoebae growing in your head.'



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Breath InBreath In
Breath In

'...ironing-board stomach, look see'
Hot PoolHot Pool
Hot Pool

'Ahhh, bath time at long last!'
Hot PoolHot Pool
Hot Pool

'Was it something I said?'
Like a PruneLike a Prune
Like a Prune

'5 more minutes!'


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb