Lake Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
August 4th 2016
Published: August 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Great spot for taking photosGreat spot for taking photosGreat spot for taking photos

The idea is that you can take photos of people standing behind the frame with Mokoia Island in the shot behind them. The problem is that many people just stand in the way and look at the frame so you may have to wait.
http://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/lake-rotorua/



There is so much to do at Lake Rotorua that you will need to spend quite a bit of time there. Cruise out to Mokoia Island, stroll along the lake edge, take some great photos, watch the tourists, dodge the seagulls and swans, take the kids to the playground and soak up the atmosphere. If you need ideas about what to do, visit the iSite in town and the friendly staff will be able to answer all your questions and book activities for you. It is always busy here, even in the middle of winter with a storm rolling in, as you will see in my photos. I have added notes to them to give you some idea of what to expect on your visit.



Notes:

Kids: plenty of activities suitable for kids, plus a good playground where they can use up some energy.

Elderly: seats where they can sit and watch the tourists and relax.

Geocaches: there are plenty of geocaches to find all round the lake. There are a few puzzles ones you can solve before you arrive.

Nearby: don't forget to visit Kairua Park and St Faith's
Watch out for the hungry seagullsWatch out for the hungry seagullsWatch out for the hungry seagulls

The slightest hint that there may be food nearby and the gulls and swans appear at high speed.
Church.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Take a cruiseTake a cruise
Take a cruise

Take a cruise out to Mokoia Island. It's a good trip even on a grey winter's day.
SeagullSeagull
Seagull

Yes, it is a lake, nowhere near the sea, but it has been taken over by seagulls. They can be a real nuisance so don't let them see you eating anything or else they will all want to share it with you.
Black swanBlack swan
Black swan

There are quite a few of these on the lake and, like the seagulls, have huge appetites. They can be very demanding and scary for kids and tourists who aren't used to them.
PlaygroundPlayground
Playground

A really nice playground, with parking right next to it, for the kids to tear round in.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb