Rotting Rotorua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
March 26th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The first thing you notice when you arrive in Rotorua is the horrible stench of sulphur in the air which every now and then attacks you out of nowhere..!! Rotorua is an active geothermal region again with many natural vents and boiling mud pools from which this glorious smell eminates from. The jordeys Jimmy and Mel who we met in Taupo were heading the same way so we joined up again and stayed at Hot Rocks which was rated in the, lonely planet as a "party hostel"... infact the only place where there was gonna be any kind of party was the pub next door as the communal areas closed at 9pm leaving you with no place to socialise in the hostel so we spent our first night in the room playing poker..!!
We decided to take a look around the following day with the many activities on offer in Rotorua. The first thing we did was head up to an extreme motoring centre where we slipped on a helmet for some sprint car time trial racing which believe it or not Vix found more terrifying than a sky dive.
After this we decided to check out something a little different. If you ever remember Jackie Chan rolling down a big hill in a inflatable rubber ball in one of his movies and thought... That Looks Cool.. then introduce the Zorb.. a first and only in New Zealand. Basically a big rubber ball suspended inside a bigger one in which you can either just get in, be strapped in or share it with a few gallons of water and slide around as your bowled down a hill or assult course..!! Sounds like fun but was a little expensive for about 30 seconds of fun so gave it a miss but definatley worth a go if you have some spare cash..!!
Later that day we headed to some charity shops around town as we'd planned to participate in the Jungle Night fancy dress party in the Lava Lounge pub next door. Best dress got a $200 bar tab so we thought it was worth a crack. I personally think we pulled it off pretty well but the prize ended up going to a few girls who were lap dancing in the corner wearing nothing that remotley resembled jungle gear... in fact wearing pretty much nothing actually.. but then thats pretty standard to be fair..!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb