Day # 56 & 57


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
August 4th 2015
Published: August 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run, Run, Run…….. Looking across the paddock from where we were camping this morning, Lance saw this large black animal? After zooming in on the camera we found it to be one very large black rabbit (probably twice the size of our cat). They sure grow the rabbits big up here at Spirits BayJ.

Enough mucking around with the wildlife it’s time to head to Rarawa Beach. A quick detour to Paua to make sure we were not missing out on something. Paua sits on the Parengarenga Harbour and also looks out across the waters to Kokota Sandspit, like Te Hapua (just a slightly different view). You are able to camp here but not really our cup of tea (not a lot to do and you are not allowed to fish here).

Arrived Rarawa DOC camp and Beach this afternoon. The sand here is Silica and so white and fine. Yes you squeak when you walk (very cool). Managed to walk the full length of the beach to the rocks at the Northern end. We were the only ones on the beach until a local came to check us out (Lance does look rather dodgy). Clouds were dark and moody today but only a couple of spits as we powerwalked back to camp.

Day 57

You could hear the surf from camp this morning so we ventured down to take a peek. As predicted the sea was choppy and the wind was starting to pick up the sand. A bit gritty that lovely fine sand when it gets in your eyes. So back to camp to pack up and head to Henderson Bay.

Henderson Bay is on the East Coast just North of the Houhara Harbour. This is an exposed beach and is apparently popular with surfers. (Just not today). The beach is about 5kms long and very impressive. Not a sole around, as we walked down the beach. I would have to say this is another Top SpotJ.

Final stop is Pukenui tonight. It’s currently raining cats and dog and we are likely to hunker down for a couple of days due to forecast and the pile of washing. But will just wait and see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb