Day # 54 & 55


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
August 2nd 2015
Published: August 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mr Sandman, bring me a dream…………. Off to Te Paki Sand Dunes. These are biggest sand dunes in NZ and we picked a perfect day to explore them. You can rent a board to slide down the dunes at great speeds if you fancy. But looking at the young ones giving it a go you don’t get too many rides as it is such a climb to get up high on the dunes only to slide down in seconds. We watched a couple of old dudes (probably Lances age) who thought they had it sussed and decided it would be good idea to lie on board and go down forward, I suspect they are still trying to pick the sand out of their noses. It’s quite hard work climbing up high on the dunes but well worth the view.

Back to the Motorhome to shake out the sand and head to Spirits Bay (Piwhane Bay). Took a slight detour to have a look at Te Hapua on the way. Te Hapua is a small settlement that sits on the Parengarenga Harbour. You can see across to the Harbour entrance and the Kokota Sandspit (Worlds Purest Silica Sand).

Spirits Bay DOC camp is where we are parked up for the next couple of days. We have been for walks on the beautiful beach and fishing off the rocks (Enjoyed the eggs on toast lol). The beach here is expansive and very much untouched. Tiny crushed pink shells give the beach an amazing pink glow which is quite remarkable. It has been a restful couple of days in another beautiful place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb