Hokianga Harbour


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Ninety Mile Beach
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

wowwowwow

God job that no-one was behind me, because as we drove over the brow of the hill and saw this view, I just stopped the car and gasped. Luckily there was a small car park, so we pulled in and took stock!
This was one of the main timber felling and exporting areas 170 years ago, but now its a spectacular harbour, with not too many people about. There is lots of evidence of its history, and it was fun looking round, and imagining how it used to be. I loved it here, every twist in the harbour gives yet another spectacular view, and the hostels were brilliant. In the 1950's, a wild dolphin became very friendly, and the "town"of Opononi (about as big as Llangyniew) became famous as people flocked to play sea football with him. He was called Opo and we saw a video made then, of him and the kids, and crowds of visitors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

home from homehome from home
home from home

Alex in the hammock at the hostel. We could have stayed there for a long time, everything you could need, and more!
the mazethe maze
the maze

we drove up what i call a forest track, but we've found that they are simply unsealed roads, to find a shop that sells puzzles! Totally in the middle of nowhere, but sold Tantrix and rush hour etc, and lots of other stuff. Passing trade was good, I was assured! There was also a (wet) maze, and here's Alex enjoying his prize.
OpoOpo
Opo

on top of the chip shop. Also there was a garage and a small grocer, so better served than Llangyniew!
car ferrycar ferry
car ferry

to the next hostel on the north side of the harbour.
relaxingrelaxing
relaxing

after a hard day's puzzling! this is outside the cabin that we had at the hostel, bit of a hike to the loo in the night, though they lent us a torch!


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb