The Kauri forests


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Ninety Mile Beach
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the main roadthe main roadthe main road

its not easy driving, no 5th gear and cruise. as you can see, the road markings are minimal, and quite often the edge has fallen off into the bush. I was tired by the end of this drive!
We spent the next day driving and walking through these forests. The first one had never been cleared and has a different feel to the others. They take care of it well, and work hard to keep out animals that harm trees, like possums, and feral cats that harm the wildlife. The old kauri trees (we're talking 800 - 1000 years old) are enormous; when I first saw one of them, I thought it was the back wall of a quarry!!! They are well protected, like the old oaks in Sherwood forest, and there are boardwalks to keep you off the roots. We took a night tour, where you go with a guide to listen and see (with a torch )what's about in the dark. And yes, we DID see a kiwi foraging about, a real live wild kiwi. Also eels in the streams, and lots of glow worms too. Of course, you find out a lot with a guide, but will I remember it all?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

kaurikauri
kauri

I hope this is a good picture, its hard to capture these enormous trees with an ordinary camera.
how's thishow's this
how's this

a giant. there are several huge trees with names, such as Tane Mahuta, and also specials where 2,3 or even 4 have grown together. One pair they called the bungy jumper, because it looked like a pair of legs sticking out of the ground!
the topthe top
the top

Kauri trees grow straight and very fast until they break through the canopy. then all the lower branches fall off and they develop a crown way above the rest of the forest. This is the crown of Tane Mahute high above the forest, and seen from a picnic area across the road.


12th November 2007

trees
Hi Carrie What truly amazing trees. Nice to see something that we havn't got in Wales. Has Alex recovered from his shock. Has he bought himself a new hat? Magsid fine. She had Sunday with Sophie as we went away for Sat and Sun. She seemed happy to be back with us last night (sun) I've got another cold so very fed up. Too much work to do at home and at work. I will try and visit your parents this week. to say ta my birthday present. Must go Luv Lynda

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb