Black Friday?! Not on this beach ☀


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Mount Maunganui
December 20th 2013
Published: December 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday 20th December

Now the first I'd ever heard of Black Friday was when it was on the news last month informing us that it was the discount shopping day after thanks giving and before Christmas. I was then to learn that in Wales-this is something entirely different in that it is the last Friday before Christmas when everyone goes out drinking-either way no matter which interpretation you choose-its probably wise to avoid Cardiff on either of these days!

In New Zealand, I'm going to call it Red Friday, as that is what Daryls back now resembles after I missed a patch on his back whilst rubbing in the sun cream and now apparently it's all my fault he's scarred for life (his words not mine).

Today we were heading for the beach. Mount Maunganui to be exact which is a lovely little place. We had Reuben in the car today (the bungee had stretched too much the day before so they needed to top up their bonding time!) as the journey was a couple of hours, we were thinking of things to keep us occupied. Eye spy was worn out, there are only so many times you can have have clouds, road, sky, and Reuben's favourite of something beginning with 'dar' clues being he is wearing glasses and driving the car. Uncle Daryl? Yep you guessed it. Thinking back to long journeys we did as a kid to see auntie Jan and what my poor mother had to do to keep us occupied, we played the yes/no game where you're obviously not allowed to say the afore mentioned (Reubs still thinks he can get away with saying uh huh instead) and the shopping list game where you have to remember what everyone bought. we're only allowed to have toys in this game though, and there are only so many Ninja turtle toys to have before you get confused between Leonardo and Raphael. Reuben seemed to have a better memory than Den though... We continued the journey singing Christmas Carols which still doesn't feel right when you're wearing flip flops. We couldn't remember every item for the 12 days of Christmas, and Reubs had lost all interest at this point and wanted to do Gangnam Style instead.

We arrived at Maunganui and got the keys for the house, rather than cram 13 of us in there, Carey Cath Daryl and I would be staying down the road. Cath works with someone who's family has a place and were happy to let us have it at last minute when Cath weighed up the options and more space won (great thinking Cath).

A quick turnaround and we were straight down the beach. The boys were straight in the sea, throwing a rugby ball about, and it was nice just to have a chill out and relax. We were down there until about 6pm, the weather was lovely.

Back at the main house, prep for the BBQ was well underway, the I.C being Rhyd who serves up a mean chicken drumstick. Cath had cooked a nice joint of ham, and along with the great food, were of course plenty of beers. Jan was in the kitchen cracking on, telling Den to fetch this and that. Now how hard can it be to find your way around a house? This place was laid out with the front room in the middle of the house that you walk into from the porch. Either side of the front room are doors, one that leads to the kitchen, the other to the
Babe on the beachBabe on the beachBabe on the beach

Uncle Daryl making a hammock for baby Caleb
hallway where the bedrooms, bathroom etc lead off. This hall goes all the way round until you get into the front room again, so essentially you can walk round in a circle. Jan had packed Den off to go find something, and she was puzzled to say the least when he'd walked all around the house and ended back up in the kitchen, without said item and confused as to how he'd just done a 360 of the house. He would go onto giving Reuben a row for trying to open the bathroom door 'Reuben! Come back here! There's someone in the shower!" Poor boy was actually trying to get back into the front room-the bathroom was round the other side. He walked in on Michelle getting changed thinking it was the front room, and by the time we left it seemed Den still needed a map to find his way around the house!

Continuing with the theme of 'What Dennis did next' Carey was telling us of time of old when Dennis was doing DIY, and I honestly hadn't known until this point, just how many ceilings Den has fallen through whilst doing DIY. I hope we can get through this holiday without him coming back with his leg in plaster! The sun seemed to have zapped everyone today, and Daryl was doing his best but failing miserably to disguise his nodding dog routine at the table, so we headed to bed after applying after sun to the Red Friday patch with was by now generating more heat than a hot water bottle.

Advertisement



27th December 2013

Hi Em and Daryl, just a quick chance to say hi, and glad that you are enjoying what must be the holiday of a life time, enjoying your blogs. Thanks for Chrissy presents. Carry on enjoying yourselves. See you next year. Love Terry and Grandma

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb