DAY 21 MT MAUNGANUI


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Mount Maunganui
February 21st 2023
Published: February 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Summitted.
We fully prepared and set off fairly late, 7.30am, for the climb of Mt Maunganui. Naturally, we took the steep path … which included hundreds of steep steps … not planned … just misinterpreted the signs. I arrived at the summit sweating like a pig and pretty pleased with myself. The views were forever changing as we climbed. It was one of the best ascents and descents of mountains that we have done. Scenery was always sensational. Numerous locals go to thetop and return each morning … a good percentage running … young and old … great place for triathlete training. Sheep graze on the lower slopes.

Jane went for a swim while I dumped the waste products and refilled the water tank.

Shopping for essentials was next on the list … even on holidays. Back at camp I organised the photos taken and planned the route to run by Jane, for the remaining time in NZ. The devastated Hawkes Bay (Gisborne and Napier/Hastings) are off the route. Jane went shopping, returning with two dresses.

The weather is turning, with rain forecast from tonight for the next 2-3 days. It has been kind to us.

We ended

I'm getting there ... must be close to the top ... I'm smiling.
our very enjoyable stay in Maunganui with an Italian restaurant dinner. It was so good that I could not let the unseen heroes of a restaurant go unappreciated ... personal contact. The kisses flowed freely ... all the chefs were female.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



"Let's go do it", says Jane.


I reincarnated ... Jane is now all smiles.


Early into the climb ... view back towards Maunganui town.



Looking down on Maunganui town.


The summit symbol.


Background has cruise ship "Norwegian Spirit" coming into port.


The coastline either side go for tens of kilometres.


Taking it all in.



The tugs gather round.



The lower slope.


Water tank mural.


Sheep graze on the lower slopes ... with terrific views.


Seated and enjoying authentic Italian cuisine ... with the trimmings.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb