Now to Napier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast » Napier
May 15th 2005
Published: May 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Art Deco NapierArt Deco NapierArt Deco Napier

This building was re-furbished a few years ago and is one of the amazing art-deco buildings in the city centre.
Hello again! Well this being on the road sure beats working... We've had the most glorious week weather-wise and driving around NZ has been a real pleasure. One of the nice things about NZ is that the scenery is gorgeous (and we know that it gets better on the South Island), and outside of Auckland the roads are reasonably quiet, so we are able to meander about the country looking at nice views, enjoying the weather and generally taking our time about getting places.

We left the Coromandel on Thursday and had a long day's driving to Rotorua. This was just a stop-over as we were aiming for Napier but it was too far for a day's drive. The drive from the Coromandel was typically stunning, along the coast for most of the way and through the beautful autumn countryside. The trees are golden at the moment which just adds to the pleasure of driving. Not much else to report from the drive, except that we stopped at Kiwiworld (!) because we were in the heart of kiwi growing country. We didn't pay the $11 to round their exibitions but we still got tastings of kiwi juice, kiwi wine and
Baby kiwi fruitBaby kiwi fruitBaby kiwi fruit

like cherry tomatoes...but different!
liquers (Graeme cos I was driving that day) and mini-kiwi fruit, which Graeme loved so we bought some. In Rotorua we camped at the Kiwi-paka, where we stayed at Christmas time - it was like visiting an old friend! Unfortunately the ground was rather rocky and we had to improvise getting the tent pegs into the ground (see photo!)

Friday morning we were up and about early to get back on the road. Graeme took the wheel as we headed to Taupo, then south to Napier. Napier was a really pleasant surprise - it is a holiday town right on the sea, but it was completely destroyed by an earthquake and fire in 1931 and the city centre was re-built art-deco style. It's the most complete example of an art-deco city in the world. To us it was like driving into a 1930s hollywood movie set! It is kind of surreal to see all these movie-like buildings all together.

In Napier we have abandoned camping for a while and are staying in a lovely backpackers in the heart of the town. We've enjoyed doing the touristy things that the town has to offer - an art-deco guided walk,
The sea shell auditoriumThe sea shell auditoriumThe sea shell auditorium

is right by the ocean and is a beautiful spot for concerts. Not that we've seen one here...
a visit to the aquarium (excellent ocean tank!) and the museum, and a tour of some of the local wineries. The Hawke's Bay area is a big wine producing area so we thought we should sample some of their finest - and we did! I'm going to be looking out for Hawkes Bay wine when we get home, and Graeme even joked that he might give up beer for it! Not really through...!

It's a little bit odd being homeless again (as my dad put it), but it's been nice staying 3 nights in the one place. Tomorrow we're packing up and heading south, aiming for Wellington although we may have a stop on the way there. The nation's capital has a lot to offer I'm sure :-)

Till the next time

love Jo and Graeme x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Another art deco streetAnother art deco street
Another art deco street

Except for the building on the right in the fore-ground, for anyone who might correct me!
Me at another beach!Me at another beach!
Me at another beach!

Napier's beach is a pebble beach, and is very steep. The waves that come in are huge, and there are big warning signs that when the flags are flying you can't even go on the beach, let alone go near the sea, because the waves can be so big. Luckily not while we've been here!


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 19; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb