Hahei and Around


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
April 8th 2009
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We headed off from Coromandel soon after breakfast, driving the winding mountain roads across the peninsula towards Whitianga. It started to drizzle as we climbed higher in our little Daihatsu but even through low cloud the scenery was dramatic - with views across Coromandel harbour and lush valleys laden with fern trees.

By the time we reached Whangapua the sun was out. The beach there was absolutely gorgeous - a huge white sandy bay which was almost empty apart from a few surfers. We are both incredibly envious of the people who live in the houses that line the back of the beach. It was a really difficult decision to walk around the headland to New Chums Bay and leave the beautiful expanse of white sand (but we trusted the rough guide and Rosemary + Brian!)

The walk through the bush was almost worth it in itself, under ferns and palms with shafts of sunlight creeping in and glimpses out to blue sea and up to blue sky - the anticipation heightened by the sound of crashing waves. When we reached New Chums it was definately worth it - Deserted! A huge sweep of empty white sand with bush steeply coming down to meet the beach - It looked like paradise and so we put our stuff down and jumped straight in - (even Phil!) We stayed a few hours - sunbathing and swimming, and then dragged ourselves away and headed on to Whitianga where the main highlight was the yummy Seafood Chowder at Cafe Nina.

We reached Hahei early evening and found another glorious beach - empty white sand, offshore islands and stacks - where we took some fish and chips down to eat while the sun went down. We got up early the next morning and headed to Cathedral Cove. We arrived to find only one other car in the car park, so were hopeful we had avoided the crowds. The view along the coast in both directions was stunning in the early morning light. When we reached the cove we were indeed the second people down there - They'd arrived seconds earlier and were taking the compulsory photographs of the arch. It was amazing seeing it so empty - the only footprints had been made by birds - rather than competing with the flocks of other tourists.

We stayed for a paddle and a sunbathe and as a band of cloud reached us and the masses began to arrive we headed back to Hahei. After lunch we set off on a lovely walk from Hahei Beach to Gemstone Bay where there is a marine reserve and buoys set up as a path for snorkellers to follow. It was a rocky bay and after navigating our way in to the water we found that we could see absolutely nothing! We could see less than a metre in front of us as the water was clouded with sand - we were pretty disappointed. However just around the corner was Stingray Bay - another white sand beach and again no-one on it. It's off the path to Cathedral Cove, so presumably all the tourists walk stright past. It had steep chalky cliffs running along the back and was an idyllic place to spend a few hours. We returned to Hahei along the coastal path and couldn't resist one last bask in the afternoon sun!

The next morning we borrowed a spade from the hostel and set off for Hot Water Beach. A few other people had had the same idea and had already dug their holes ready for the tide to come in. We set to digging a hole near the others, but the water was cold so we moved to another rocky outcrop and started digging - with the opposite problem; the water was scolding. Every time a wave came in the hole got washed away (along with Phil's patience and will to dig!) It seemed as though we were doing something wrong. But on closer inspection of other people's efforts it seemed that most were sitting with one bum cheek in either luke warm or scolding hot water! Hot Water Beach was a bit surreal - 100 people squashed into 25metres of beach, frantically digging puddles, oblivious to the other mile of gorgeous sandy beach!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



8th April 2009

Oh my days!
I'm so glad you guys are finding time to let us all know how you're getting on, you better keep it up! NZ looks unbelievable so far, and I am green with envy. Can't wait for the next installment! P.S. Good effort at digging Phil, good effort!
8th April 2009

Doesn't seem too bad then... We're all madly jealous. Keep on enjoying yourselves. Love from everybody.
8th April 2009

Cartwheel
Photo's look stunning, sounds like you're having a great time, but please make sure you extend straight through to your toes when cartwheeling!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb