Towards Coromandel


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not sure if 'excitement' kicked in until starting the descent into Auckland; it seemed like the flying was all we'd come for, because we were in the air and around airports for so long!

The flights themselves were actually pretty painless as there were so many movies to watch. The transfer at LA however was distinclty less fun - LAX is a grim place, not the ideal place to spend 8 hours. We did manage to find a corner of floor and sleep for a few hours, which made it slightly more bearable.

The car pick up was very smooth and speedy - so good to finally get out on the open road in our little Daihatsu Sirion, and that the journey had finished and the holiday could begin!

We were met at the Celadon motel in Coromandel by Ray the owner. he was an eccentric Mancunian who was extremely enthusiastic about everything , but particuarly Barry Brickell and the Driving Creek Railway. The cabin we stayed in was up some steps through the bush and had a verandah with views over Coromandel and out to sea.

Due to Ray's enthusiuasm for the "only narrow guage railway in New Zealand" we went to experience Barry Brickell's creation for ourselves! Pretty bizzare experience- being driven up a hillside on a minature train hand built by an eccentric potter, being chatted to enthusiastically by the driver about various railways around the world! But the views through the bush over Coromandel were fantastic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



6th April 2009

Now........ that's what I call an 'open road'! Have fun xxxxxx

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb