Spring Rains


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Whakatane
October 13th 2010
Published: October 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We visited Whakatane at the weekend to catch up with Dad and Aunty Bubbles. On the way down we visited Evans at Karipiro. Evans garden is looking fantastic, the roses are looking very healthy.
Whakatane has had a number of nasty winter storms this year one dropping 90mm of rain in one hour. There was considerable damage done to the town. Down at the 'Heads' at the river mouth, during one of the big floods, the river cut another channel through the sandbank out to the ocean.
Behind some very expensive houses a massive slip came down causing huge damage. Luckily no one was hurt, but all the residants of a number of houses have been evacuated as the remainder of the cliff is unstable and will probably come down in the next storm.
On the way home we visited Rod and Shirley in their new home which is lovely. They have shifted to the north of Hamilton. I forgot to take photos I will have to do it next time.
Fletcher went to Chelle's for the weekend and the visit was very successful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

All these properties have been evacuated.All these properties have been evacuated.
All these properties have been evacuated.

Second slip is just waiting to come down.
Unstable cliff.Unstable cliff.
Unstable cliff.

One shouldn't live on top of a cliff or underneath a cliff. This photo tells you why.
View from Aunty Bubbles house.View from Aunty Bubbles house.
View from Aunty Bubbles house.

Looking towards the 'Heads'
Another view from Aunty Bubbles house.Another view from Aunty Bubbles house.
Another view from Aunty Bubbles house.

Looking out to Whale Island.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb