We climbed a "mountain"


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Mount Maunganui
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 16th September



This was to be a day of rest! After a couple of loads of washing, an hour or so of Judy dusting and vacuum cleaning we were on the road again. This time our objective was to climb Mt Maunganui, an extinct volcano near Tauranga.

Last week when we were there it was covered in haze as was the surrounding countryside. Today was the perfect day with hardly a cloud in the sky, no wind and the temperature in the low 20s.

We set off on the ocean side of the mountain, up steps from the beach. We passed through green paddocks with many sheep in them. Rags had difficulty getting the sheep into a photo, they seemed very nervous of humans!!! After explaining he was an Australian they paused long enough for him to take a couple.

The climb up wasn't too bad, our fitness is returning. Our self-esteem wasn't helped by having a few young ladies run past us on their lunchtime break.

The views on the way up and from the top were unbelievable, beautiful beaches, surf, green fields and a neatly set out city below making for postcard-like pictures. Thank goodness Judy has an 8GB card in the camera she was using, she never seemed to stop shooting. (or was that just a ploy to rest more often on the way?)

Lunch at the summit followed before making our way down via the 4WD access track. A wander through town followed, and then a visit to the supermarket for supplies before the drive home. Another great day was had.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lots of lambiesLots of lambies
Lots of lambies

Many of the sheep appeared to be looking after twin lambs.


16th September 2008

sheep?
So you're telling us that the sheep were fitter than you?
16th September 2008

Beautiful New Zealand
Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your travels in NZ. Sounds like your having a great time. Back to HH and my mentoring for me today. I was happy to be back. Have updated my blog too. Have a read. Love Ya lots.
17th September 2008

NZ
No, he wasn't saying that. He was trying to be funny in response to some messages about Kiwis and sheep..... You know how he is.....
17th September 2008

Blog
Read your blog and enjoyed reading about your holiday too. We're a real blogging family, aren't we?
18th September 2008

Lucky buggers
Looks as though you're getting some great weather. It's pissing down here. Enjoy your adventures. Love Kerry and Steve.
18th September 2008

"pissing" down
Hi, Yeah well, we haven't taken photos on the rainy days! Like today. We enjoyed a rest day today - the rain was just an excuse. It gave Rags' foot a chance to rest too.
24th September 2008

lucky yous
some wonderful views of nz, brings back memories. max.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1mb