On to NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 31st 2015
Published: March 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Very long trip to Auckland after an early rising. First the plane was delayed over 40 minutes, then a three hour flight and time jumping ahead two hours. My biological clock gears are just spinning wackily. Arrived at hotel close to six pm, tour guide ready to get us moving after a long day. Short walk down to the harbor for a nice dinner (get the picture about food?) then a leisurely stroll down to see where two of the America's cup sailboats were moored. What a lot of work in competitive sailing! Think everyone went to bed right after that, I know I did. Woke up this morning to find the street outside our hotel barricaded. Turns out there was a triathlon going to be held on that really rainy day. Did I tell you there is a lot of quick weather changes here? Poured in the morning as we trudged up a steep hill to find taxis for our day. Our tour bus could not get anywhere near us. Finally taxis arrived and we all poured in for a trip to a museum and garden. We were met by Prince Davis, an Under Maori Chieftan. His older brother was the Senior Chieftan. All had to do with bloodlines, sort of like the UK. We got a traditional Maori welcome, where he and our chosen representatives grasped right hands, he put his left on her shoulder and they touched noses and foreheads twice, after which he sang a song of welcome in Maori and translated. He told us that individual people did not own property, the clan did. He told how the British fooled the Maori into signing a treaty they did not understand in which the British got to sell their lands and they became citizens of the UK with all the rights and privileges. We all know how that goes with a conquered race anyway, rights are given and taken. He walked us through a botanical garden and showed us a tree whose ancestors had been used by the Maori in their canoe building. One tree made a hundred foot boat. His wife served us a tea undee the trees and we all got to talk to her too. After a farewell song we walked up the hill to the museum. First floor was dedicated to the Maori people and their artifacts, weaponry, housing, and arts. The second floor dealt with native flora and fauna including extinct varieties. Had a replica of a mom, an extinct bird, next to a female cassawary. Mom stood at least two head taller.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb