Sydney 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 30th 2015
Published: March 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Last one for tonight. Almost 10:30 here in NZ. Anyway back to Sydney and the Opera House. On our private tour we heard all about how it was built on sight, how the original architect was fired when it took so much longer and so much more money (and I do mean tens and tens of millions). A local company was hired to finish it, and he went back to Denmark. They used his plans, but he never got back to see it. Got to go into the Opera section where they were setting up for Madame Butterfly. four of our group planned to go to that. It is beautifully appointed, but much smaller than most opera houses, so all sets are kept below the stage and hoisted up instead of from the sides. They had to waterproof the floor for the 50,000 liters of water pumped onstage.Then off to see the Symphony Hall, where The Planets was going to be performed the next day. And broadcasted all over the world. We had two going there too. Amazing place, not a bad seat in the house. I was already ticketed to see a modern As You Like It in the Playhouse under the Opera House. Needless to say, by night the Opera House is Magnificent and the bridge towers over it. Had a wonderful evening and as I was leaving the Opera House, fireworks lit up the sky. Not sure if it was because it was the weekend or it was a celebration of AUS winning the semi-finals in the World Cricket Match. Onward to face off with NZ for the championship. We will actually be there when it is played. The last day in Sydney was a free one. Went souvenir shopping with a couple of our group, ate at a street vendor, visited an Aboriginal museum, and then headed off for my Harbor Bridge climb. What an adventure. Because I did not have the inclination or the time to do the 3-1/2 hour climb, I opted to take the Sampler climb. We climbed halfway up, crossed over traffic took pictures and headed down. The bridge has eight lanes of automobiles and two train lines, in the lobby were pictures of people who had climbed the brige - Robert DeNiro, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Wills Smith and Farrell, Oprah, Prince Harry and a very young Daniel Radcliffe. Climb was perfect for me. It was not easy, but worth every step. Fom there a quick cab back and farewell dinner at the Hero of Waterloo Pub, one of the oldest in Sydney. Am truly going to miss Louise. She tried very hard to Auseify us And we have all become good mates.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 42; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb