Backpacker's Car Market, day 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 24th 2009
Published: September 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today it was back to the market. The British guy we had met yesterday had completed his 3rd day (the limit) yesterday, but Adam ran into him at the internet cafe. He said he was going to go sell his car to a car lot. We hung out with the Israeli girl again and a German couple. Nobody is coming in. The couple who looked at the Israeli girl's van yesterday is back, and after many hours of coming and going they decide to buy it (in the afternoon).
Sometime in the morning one of the people working at the car market comes over to me and says that a car lot wanted to buy our van and would pay $1100 for it, but they needed to know that minute. Adam had left a couple minutes earlier to go to the Internet cafe, so I couldn't answer. I told them the van wasn't in my name, so I couldn't make that decision until Adam came back. They told me I had 15 minutes and then the lot wouldn't be interested anymore (which made no sense).

Later in the day Adam starts pestering the people at the car market what our options are to do with our van since we are leaving tomorrow (on Christmas) and this is our last day to sell it. They tell him they are doing everything they can to find someone who wants to buy it. After awhile they tell us that someone wants to buy it for $1900, but again we have to act fast. The couple from the night before are also now interested in the van at this reduced price, but were being flaky about when they could come and get it. Adam decides to just sell it to the car market (even though it made us mad to do so). The car market is filled with old cars/vans that we are sure don't belong to any actual backpackers (since there are only 3 of us there trying to sell) and instead pressure you into selling your vehicle to them at a reduced price so that they can turn around and mark it up. We didn't believe anyone wanted our van, just the car market. Even though I was kinda pissed, the weight of the anxiety was lifted. No more van to worry about, and we get some money back.

That evening we met up with the people we'd been hanging out with at the car market and just walked around Auckland talking and looking around. We stopped and got Apple Gelato that the Israeli girl had been telling us about for the past 2 days. It was as good as she promised it would be. We traded stories of our trips, of our vans and it was just a lot of fun. It's hard to believe it's our last night here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb