The Great White Sausage and the Path to Salvation


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After what felt like an enternal winter last summer combined with -20 degrees in Anchorage, I packed my bags and headed for New Zealand. My friend, Blake, and I spent our first day in paradise getting acclimated to summer - sunburns, blisters and lots of sunscreen. After my last visit 2 1/2 years ago, I was anxious to dip my feet in the aquamarine waters and eat my favorite cracker - chicken flavored again and drinking V energy drinks. We spent our first day walking around so much that soon led me to believe that I had nothing to dread except for my feet.
Auckland in early January is a contrast between Santa and Christmas decor and blooming flowers and 80 degree in a semi tropical weather. We saw Santa at the bookstore, maybe he travels by penguin here, trying to stop the spread of invasive reindeer. The highlight of the day had to be the zipline at Mt. Eden Park - even mothers threw down their diaper bags to join in the fun. However, we didn't come to New Zealand just to admire the flowers and soak in the sun. We came to hike, kayak, bike and walk around New Zealand. Our second day took us to Bethells Beach a wonderfully remote beach in the Auckland area where we scrambled up a cliff for some amazing views before a refreshing dip in the water. We spent our last day in Auckland exploring Waiheke Island, about a 45 minute ferry ride away. Waiheke Island is like the US was in the 60's with the addition of chic vineyards all over. I totally felt like I was in paradise and felt a bit too relaxed when I realized that I had left my camera on the bus!!!! Relaxation time was over as we sprinted about trying to track it down and we eventually scored! Earlier we lost a bottle of water, but this made the earlier tragedy seem a bit silly although we were dehydrated. Everyday seems so long and we are exhausted.
We have purchased a car. A '91 Mitsubishi station wagon. It's a blast especially when Blake is driving (she is learning to drive a manual on the left side of the road). No extreme adventure can compare. Mamma Mia!! She just giggles. Our car has some interesting artwork on it. Intially I thought that it said in German, "Tailgate me you SOB" because everyone was obliging, young and old it doesn't matter. It is actually Dutch and it says "The Great White Sausage." The first day that we had a car we had two terrifying experiences - 1 driving a manual on an extremely steep hill in downtown Auckland 2 roundabouts - I creep around them slowly.
We spent the next couple of days in Northland, exploring the Kauri forests, Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga. The road are impossibly curvy and often highways have 180 degree turns. We spent the nights in campgrounds. We are traveling with a little tent that weighs 2.5 pounds. Everyone else has tents that are larger than any Manhatten apartment - ours could fit in the closet or in the boot- trunk in Kiwi speak. Didn't you know fruit can talk?
In Northland we visited Kerikeri, site of the first mission to New Zealand in the 1820's. They picked this site to Christianize the nearby Bay of Islands - a stopover for sailors who liked their grog and their Maori women in multiples. When we visited the mission, it simply said that it failed. What it didn't mention is that the reason it failed is soon most of the missionaries decided to leave the Christian life behind for grog and women. haha!!
On our drive to the top of the North Island at Cape Reinga, we sandboarded. We rented sandboards (boogie boards) and climbed to the top of a dune called the 'Psycho' and sledded down at a breaknecking speed. Weeeeee!! The sand was incredibly hot so we had to wear socks which was a bit odd. We got sand everywhere... I felt like I was growing a beard. I think the dune got it's name from the crazy people who use whatever means they can to get to the top of a dune only to hurl their bodies down it.
On our drive south out of Cape Reinga, we passed a sign that said, 'Salvation Road - No Exit.' Since New Zealanders drive on the left path and not the right path we didn't seek salvation. haha. We spent the rest of the day exploring the Kauri forests. Kauris are endemic trees that are enormous and are found in the semi tropical forests. In one tree, over 20 species of plants can exist on it and in the forest there are over 200 species!
The highlights of the trip have been the swimming in the ocean, listening to the Mamma Mia soundtrack, the stargazing, sandboarding and the people. Tomorrow we will try kayaking. Only endless blue skies ahead!

Advertisement



16th January 2009

Yee Haw!
Oh my goodness, how exciting! Happy kayaking! Do we get an illustrated version of this virtual adventure sometime in the near future? Keep us posted! I am having such a good time!
18th January 2009

Thank you. Interesting.
Breena, I'm one of Blake's uncles. Thank you for doing the blog and making it so interesting. Have fun. John

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb