Day 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day I Flight and Arrival in Auckland (Friday 2/15)
Feb. 13 we flew to LA. Arrived about 4:30 and checked in for the flight to New Zealand. Everything went smooth and we had supper before boarding about 8:30.

Both Juanita and I were sure something was going to go wrong.

The 12 hour from LA to NZ was really comfortable. They feed you a couple of meals; each seat had a personal screen with a selection of 4 movies and probably 100 different TV programs.

We took some sleeping pills and Juanita was actually able to sleep some. This was the first I have seen her sleep on a plane and we have had number of international flights.

All our bags made it to NZ and we thought we were home free. We had rented a car from Australian Auto and it ended up being a small franchise a guy ran out of his home. We finally found him and he came to pick us up after he took his son to school. Well we got to see his home and picked up our one lunged rice burner. At least it makes it up steep hills ahead of bikes but not by much. Actually it ended up being a pretty good deal compared to the national rental companies. It added a spice to the normally boring task of renting a car.

We finally got settled into the hotel about 11 AM. We went out exploring Auckland and actually found our way around pretty well. It was a bit thrilling to learn how to drive on the left side of the road during rush hour traffic. With Juanita’s help, we did survive with only one close call (the last look is always to the right). Also it took a while to establish reasonable depth perception to the curb on the left. I am sure our rental car needs the front end aligned.

We were able to stay up till 8 PM and then crashed for a 12 good hours of “Sleep of the Dead”.


Advertisement



19th February 2008

Thank You Jim
Thanks for including us in this blog. We were in New Zealand 5 years ago and loved it. We only had a week and that was way to short. Spent most of our time on the south island. Would love to go back and your blog is great for us to see. Have fun and keep them coming. PS: Can not believe how big Elizabeth is. We saw her at your home about 4 years ago.
20th February 2008

NZ
This is really great. I don't understand how you can be in NZ and your blog takes me along on the trip!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb