Day 2 Coromandel


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Thames
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 2-Coromandel Adventures (Sat. 2/16)
We headed south of Auckland on #1 and then east to the Coromandel Peninsula with no idea of what we might find. What we found was a 100 miles of some of the most beautiful landscapes we have ever seen. The Coromandel Peninsula is not really pushed in the travel propaganda. I think the Kiwis just decided to keep it to themselves. The drive from Thames to Coromandel up the west coast was just stunningly beautiful. Near Coromandel we ran into a bike rally and the hills were almost straight up. The bikes were having a hard time making it up the hills and our little rice burner barely made it. They were also having a motorcycle rally in Coromandel. There must have been 500 motorbikes in town. Evidently the narrow twisty roads have a third lane right down the center for motorcycles. They would blow by you on a 15K curve going 100K. Then there are the wonderful one lane bridges. This is a unique form of Kiwi gambling. Everyone just blows through these from either end with no regard to who has the right away.

The picture of the dog reminded me of Jane & Bob’s dog. We stopped for Ice Cream at a beautiful little seaside town of Kuaotunu and the dog was there to greet us.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of the Coromandel Peninsula.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th February 2008

Jimmy and Juanita - From everything I hear as good as it's been so far it gets even better. I could not be more jealous!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb