Action from the Bri-wi or Kiw-it


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
October 12th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kleenex must be making a mint: The All Blacks lost the World Cup and the whole country has gone into mourning. Seriously, mass devestation and hysteria everywhere. Oh and of course it was everyone’s fault except the players; turn on the tele or radio and some joker’s always raving on about poor refereeing, bad coaching strategies...and there I was thinking it’s only a game!!!

I guess it’s like the soccer, sorry the ‘football’, World Cup at home, except everyone (and I mean everyone; housewives, Grandmas, Asian immigrants…) seems to be following it. Until it all went horribly wrong that is. Denied by the flipping French! Can you believe it? Ok I confess I got sucked in too and was heckled for routing for both the Kiwis and the Brits, well look who’s laughing now; roll on next weekend and the semis!

I watched the weekend’s games from sunny Vanuatu, one of the Pacific Islands previously known as the Solomon Islands. There we spent the first couple of days lazing on our recliners, sunbaking and people watching. Apart from the occasional stroll to the sea or pool to cool off, the most strenuous thing either of us did was wave to one of the handsome young waiters for another cocktail. In the second half of the week we managed to muster enough energy for some tennis, volleyball, kayaking, waterfall hopping and snorkeling but nothing too strenuous. It was bliss.

Spring has arrived in New Zealand with temperatures in the high teens and low twenties, thank God! Although the winter temperatures never got anywhere near as low as in Blighty, I have a much greater appreciation of central heating and insulation which NZ houses seem to lack. They take the “Just put on another jumper” theory to the limits!

It was lovely to see Dad, Andrew, Jessica and Megan and all the 90th birthday celebrations went down very well, although they did put my cake making abilities to the test and I vow to never again make a sponge cake. Volunteering to make one to feed 60 people may have been a little out of my depth, something which I realised after the 6th or 7th attempt failed!

Back to work now for the final term of school which is guaranteed to be busy with camp, a big drama production and all the usual end of term frenzied activities. Am still keeping busy playing netball, running and the usual socialising. Can’t believe how quickly the year’s gone. I’m sure my birthday and then Christmas will creep up on me in no time at all and then I’ll be off to Bankok to begin my Asian adventures.

Lots of love to all back home. Keep in touch.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb