Off we go!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
September 8th 2005
Published: September 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hi there all

Well it's Friday morning for us, now recovered from the jet lag. Both Helena and I have been having some very weird moments, such as waking up in the middle of the night (lunch time in the UK) even though not hungry, trying not to fall asleep during the day and feeling very much like drunks due to tiredness!

Luckily that is all past now and our body clocks have adjusted to Kiwi time! The hostel is in a camden-town-esque area with a high punk and street culture scene. Auckland city central is about 2miles square, surrounded by acres of suburbs. It has the feel of most Ports, being slightly rough around the edges but very alive and vibrant. Colonial Architecture meets American fast food and Asian skyscrapers is the best description I can muster.

We shopped and visted the Auckland Art Gallery yesterday, in a cultural quarter with several other commercial galleries backing on to it (those uninterested in Art can look away now!).

It is a relativily small but strong gallery, when compared with our major galleries back home. There were some suprise finds, such as an allegorical bust of Napolean and, worth another look before we leave for England.

The Art scene is very different to back home, where as we often reference the Renaissance, the scene here references colonial painting and grand narratives from the 18th and 19th Centuries, as well as Modern painting such as Picasso (for use of ethnic objects). Painting is prolific here, both Modern/Abstract and Contemporary narrative, with a suprise emphasis on the latter. Conceptualism is as sensational as back home, however biculturalism and the Australasia Art market are dominant, standing in for our European Art scene.

The Art education here is also as chaotic, the techs (colleges) are starting to run degree courses, (same as back home). Which is threatening dominant Art Universities here, who are trying to change to keep up with this "new scene", which favours a Pluaralist approach. An older "Bauhaus run" University, has recently shifted to a Pluarlistic approach to try and keep up!

Enough Art talk for now, as today we plan to head to Phia beach and start our leg up North! Hopefully go and sit by some beaches this weekend! Do some painting, drink some wine and chill out!

The weather remains fine and spring like.

All the best to you all, love Chris and Helena :-) 😊 xx



Advertisement



9th September 2005

we are reading this
just in case you're wondering if anyone is reading this, yes we are Chris!! We just envious! Tell Helena to be careful, not too many dangerous sports.
11th September 2005

Not a clue what the Art talk was on about but I'm glad to see you've arrived safely and having a smashing good time ;-) Kate also says hi. We're both fine and wishing we were on holiday already. Mind the sheep.
14th September 2005

arty farty
Good Lord, Helena, are these Chris' honeymoon chat-up lines? I hope you know what he is talking about,I had to reach for the thesaurus. Look forward to the next installment from you both. keep safe x
15th September 2005

We Love Work
Hi to you both, we are working hard in rainy Canterbury Cathedral City (about as cultural as we could muster). Sounds like you are having a lovely time, we are enjoying your updates, keep em coming, love Charlotte, Steph and Naomi. xxx
17th September 2005

Never mind about the art and the choclate factory. Algae wants to know if you have seen any good looking sheep and do they have a sister?
19th September 2005

Enough Art talk for now, as today we plan to head to Phia beach and start our leg up North! Hopefully go and sit by some beaches this weekend! Do some painting, drink some wine and chill out!
Mate, Have a word with yerself you are s'posed to be chilling! We are currently covering the cover...sam'ol sam'ol! Be good mate. Nick xxx
21st September 2005

Oh! Is it art dahling?
Hello, what about the gorgeous scenery then? Have you been where the hobbits have been? I thought N.Z. art was very orange and brown and patterny - was I wrong to stick Australasia's art scene in the boonies box? What d'you think of Cecily Brown Chris? I love her paintings. (sorry Helena, confiscate his gallery guide and buy kites)looking forward to more news, have the best time, Dyan x

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb