Auckland Zoo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 27th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Adrianne and the Wood PigeonAdrianne and the Wood PigeonAdrianne and the Wood Pigeon

Adrianne and the Wood Pigeon in a stand-off before Astrid intervenes
The family is getting up a little earlier each day. I was up at 7:30 and wandered down the road to get a coffee and read the local newspaper. It is much wider than the North American format and is consequently somewhat unwieldy. I had an early morning teleconference with the office using the Internet phone. The phone allows me to call Toronto as if it were a local call. The quality is not perfect, but for the cost, it is great.

The car will not be ready until tomorrow, putting off our planned departure for another day. There were a few problems identified with the AA inspection but the dealership is taking care of them.

Funny thing about the toilets here: it is very common to have a "half flush" and a "full flush" button. Thus far, I have really only had need for the half-flush, but I will keep everyone posted of any changes.

We went to the Auckland Zoo today. It was a perfect day for it. The zoo took about three hours. It has fewer exhibits than some of the major zoos we have seen, but the animals have large areas and appear well cared for. There were very few people around. We saw our very first live Kiwi (a small flightless bird endemic to New Zealand).

In the aviary we came across an apparently very friendly New Zealand Wood Pigeon. It seemed very fond of Adrianne. It came closer and closer. So close that she could have touched it, but she got scared in the end and retreated before actual contact. Astrid, attempting to show there was nothing to fear, approached the bird and held out her hand (I suspect hoping that it would hop on and declare undying bird loyalty). The Wood Pigeon proceeded to latch on to her outstretched hand and remove a small portion of flesh which it swallowed readily (who could have guessed that a wood pigeon would be carnivorous). Josh was simply grateful that it was not him.

Advertisement



27th February 2007

delicacy
I believe that in 'that part of the world' that you currently find yourself, it is a known fact that 'Astrid' is a delicacy, therefore, no fault lies with the Wood Pigeon. I do however, wonder if it is more appropriate to refer to the the bird as a 'Would Pigeon', as it clearly did! I have found 'half-lush' to be less unruley as the 'full-lush'! AD is in re-runs, and being shown at least 2 - 3 times on Monday nights! A little late, me thinks! Have you noticed the counter (to our) rotation of the WC's?
27th February 2007

Half Flush
Good to hear about flush and half flush....the exciting option now available is a 'flush and a half', often just whats needed.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb