Kelly Tarlton and One Tree Hill


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Josh Turns to StoneJosh Turns to StoneJosh Turns to Stone

Carefully placed volcanic rock in the main crater near One Tree Hill
We are still having difficulty with the time zone. The kids were up very late again last night, waking very late this morning. After getting a coffee, we headed out to Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World and Antarctic Encounter. Kelly Tarlton is New Zealand’s best known undersea explorer and he established this fine aquarium and museum in the mid-80s. The highlight, for us, was the exhibit of live penguins. Several were protecting their eggs.

The attraction also boasts a 100 metre acrylic undersea viewing area. This was the third such display we have seen on our trip, but it was also the best. The tanks were adapted from old sewage storage tanks, but the water was clear, the fish appeared healthy and the crowds were minimal.

There was a good “museum” section dealing with Antarctic exploration. It included a mock up of Robert Scott’s main base during his tragic 1911-12 polar attempt (Scott died on his return from the pole which he reached a month after the Norwegian, Roald Amundsen - he was just a day’s journey away from a major supply depot). Scott’s party used New Zealand as a jumping off point for his journey.

In the afternoon, we went to One Tree Hill (the site of the largest of Auckland’s many extinct volcanoes). It was also the site of three Maori Pa (fortifications). Sir John Logan Campbell, one of Auckland’s founding fathers, donated the land for a park in 1901 and is buried under a massive obelisk at the top of the hill. The view is outstanding. From the summit you can easily see both of Auckland’s two harbours.

Originally a lone and sacred Māori Totara tree stood atop of this hill. Unfortunately, a colonial settler cut it down for firewood. It was later replaced by two pine trees. One of the trees was cut down by a Boy Scout in the 60s (going for his deforestation badge). The other was repeatedly attacked by Maori protestors and was taken down in 2000. The Maori objected to the pine trees because they are not a native tree species. The hill is now known locally as None Tree Hill.

In what remains of the central craters of the volcano there are many loose volcanic rocks. It is apparent that visitors arrange the rocks to spell various names and greetings. The kids took an hour or so and worked to arrange their names with rocks. Astrid ultimately helped them. I sat, quite comfortably, at the top of the hill and marveled at their handiwork.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not report on our first sheep sighting. There was a herd kept on the slopes of One Tree Hill. I think there may be some more.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb