Orc-land?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
June 28th 2005
Published: June 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We drove up to Auckland in a rain storm (although not as bad as the one we've just heard about at home!) and only stopped briefly at a bird sanctuary to identify some of the species we'd seen during our travels - Pied and Variable Oyster Catchers, Stilts, Herons and the like.

Auckland turned out to be a pretty cool city. On our first day, we went up the Sky Tower for views of the city but decided not to take the opportunity to jump off it (although this was tempting). We ate mussels at Prince's wharf and the sun shone all day.

The next day, we visited the Cathedral (and amazing Kauri church that was moved from accross the road to be near the Cathedral). We walked through the Domain ("the lungs of the city" - i.e. grassy area), visited the winter gardens, did some shopping on the crazy K'Road (ethic cafes, 2nd hand shops and a good array of unsalubrious establishments) and walked back through a park to the city centre.

So that was NZ: kumara, screwtop wine, minah birds, kiwifruit, Speight's distinction ale, hokey pokey ice cream, biased rugby refs, bush honey, seal pups, licorice chocolate logs, penguins, Pak'N'Save, Whittaker's peanut slabs, rock oysters, The Wharehouse (where everyone gets a bargain), pukekos, biased Rugby fans, unsealed roads, pies, haka-ring Maoris, fush'n'chups, unpronounceable place names, being called pommies, washouts, jokes about Aussies accross the ditch, hobbits, kingfishers, volcanoes, mountains, plains, cliffs, beaches, ocean waves...

Advertisement



1st July 2005

auckland
Guys I loved auckland when we were there. The restaurant in the sky tower is great. It was cool to speak to you the other day. I really miss NZ and i'm very tempted to move back one day......especially to hear the famous radio jingles "the warehouse, the warehouse, where everyone gets a bargin.....and a money back guarrantee" rob

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb