30 Hours in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 8th 2007
Published: January 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Auckland Sky TowerAuckland Sky TowerAuckland Sky Tower

We actually saw someone bungy jump from the top (no, it wasn't me!!)
It takes a long time to get to Auckland!!! The 13 hour flight was really very good with excellent service from Air New Zealand. The plane was a Boeing 777 and I have always wanted to fly in one. The in-seat on-demand entertainment centers did a lot to help pass the time with a full selection of movies to choose from as well as interactive games and music. Nonetheless, the seats are pretty tight and the plane was full, so we were all happy when the flight landed at about 7:00 am.

We cleared customs in no time and our pre arranged rental car person met us as planned. By 7:45 am we were whisking our way down the left side of the highway toward Auckland in our little Toyota Corolla hatchback (I know, it is a bit of a step down from the Volvo!!) Luckily it was Sunday morning so there was no traffic.

Checked in at the Rendezvous hotel and (no surprise) were unable to get onto a room that early. They did allow us to clean up in the gym area so we stored our bags and went off on foot to explore Auckland city. (amazing
Auckland main ferry quayAuckland main ferry quayAuckland main ferry quay

Only a 20 minute walk from our hotel.
what adrenaline can do despite no sleep!)

Auckland is a nice compact city of 1.4 million people but it doesn’t feel big. A very diverse city, it is highlighted by the gorgeous harbour. There are more boat owners per capita in Auckland than any other city in the world, hence the name, City of Sails.

We wandered around the harbour and downtown for several hours then knew we needed sleep. Upon returning to the hotel, we were still not able to get a room…until Nancy had a ‘pleasant but firm’ conversation with the manager expressing our disappointment at the lack of service! (stop smiling family and co-workers!)

The room was great (quite luxurious really at a great price I found on line) and the next 5 hours were a solid and much welcomed sleep. Had a wonderful dinner at the Midnight Express Café, a little Middle East and Turkish restaurant with tons of atmosphere.

The next morning we knew would be the last time we would have in the city so we made the most of it. Went to Sky City, an amazing complex in the downtown and went to the top of the sky tower
Hec at Sky TowerHec at Sky TowerHec at Sky Tower

Incredible views. tallest structure in the southern hemisphere.
for breathtaking views. We also took the Hop on Hop Off Express Bus on a city tour getting off to visit the Mission Bay Beach area. More good food at Toninos authentic Italian restaurant…Marcello has been making great meals in this same location for 23 years. It was probably the best pizza we have ever eaten…of course a trip to Italy may change that opinion! There were many sites we would love to have visited but alas we were out of time!

We said good bye to Auckland and drove the 4 hours North to Paihia, gateway to the Northland. We are settled into our little apartment where we will stay 5 days, rest and explore the Bay of Islands area. It looks gorgeous, even through the rain which has been coming down non stop all day! Forecast isn’t good, but hey, I have seen the NB weather report so we won’t be complaining!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Midnight express turkish cafeMidnight express turkish cafe
Midnight express turkish cafe

Terra cotta tiles, rough bricks, tapestries and great food.
Rendezvous HotelRendezvous Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel

Our hotel as seen from the sky!.
Mission Bay Beach AucklandMission Bay Beach Auckland
Mission Bay Beach Auckland

Warmer than LA but still too cool for us to swim!
Called the Christmas TreeCalled the Christmas Tree
Called the Christmas Tree

The real name is Pohutukawa tree and the blossoms looks like decorations. (other plant pictures available on request!!:) )
birds of paradisebirds of paradise
birds of paradise

Lots of gorgeous flowers...and real birds too!! (we have pictures!)
Auckland Town HallAuckland Town Hall
Auckland Town Hall

We thought it was a church!
Paihia ApartmentPaihia Apartment
Paihia Apartment

Not big but cozy and newly renovated.


9th January 2007

Lookin' good
You guys look fantastic! Nancy the Lole skirt, top and chacos seem to be working well for you! Maia and Peter started skiing this weekend in the Nancy Green program (depsite the rain) they enjoyed themselves - even when they had to use a harness to get Maia off the chairlift which had broken down. Love C
9th January 2007

Can you put Salad in that sink?? !!
Hi Nancy and Hector!!! You already seem to be enjoying yourselves tremendously!! I love travelling and love this "Blog" to venture through your journey with you!!! Love the pictures of course!!! See retirement is awesome!!! I might talk to "BOB" today to see if an early retirement is an option for me... I mean geesh, I'm 35... can't see the harm in asking. hee hee. Keep blogging! I love and miss you!!
15th January 2007

Pizza Contest
I doubt you will find better pizza in Italy. When we were in Rome we tried it a few times and were VERY disapointed. So, consider yourself lucky, you probably did find the best pizza ever! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
17th January 2007

AEFNB
The Christmas plant picture brings back great memories from my visit there in 2000. ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!!!!! CHEERS! André

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb