Exploring the Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
January 11th 2007
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Waitangi Treaty HouseWaitangi Treaty HouseWaitangi Treaty House

Site of historic treaty signing
The Bay of Islands and the small resort town of Paihia are a real tourist destination in New Zealand’s North Island. The area is dominated by both Maori culture and the natural beauty of the Pacific Ocean with its hundreds of bays and thousands of small volcanic islands.

Despite the overcast weather with occasional drizzle we ventured out to explore (being weather hardy Canadians we were not deterred!) We visited the Waitangi Treaty House, the site of an historic treaty signing between the many Maori tribes and the British Commonwealth representatives. This country has done a much better job in terms of reconciling differences and integrating Aboriginal people into the culture and business of the country. The treaty was signed in 1840 and recognized the Maoris as an independent people while acknowledging the presence of the British crown. There has been peace between the parties ever since.

The Treaty house and the replica of a Maori canoe (called a waka) are incredible examples of the intricate carvings of the Maori culture. The canoe requires 79 paddlers and still has room for another 50 people! It was built entirely from 3 giant Kauri trees (see picture of the stump from
Shoes off to enterShoes off to enterShoes off to enter

Gorgeous wood everywhere inside
one!)
We completed our day with a coastal walk where we were treated to more views, plus a family of Californian Quails (with 8 teeny tiny babies) that even I appreciated!

Next day we set out for Russell, a small town on the island across from Paihia. A water taxi took us there and we were greeted by a shore lined with quaint houses and more Puhutakawa trees. Russell was at one time the capital of NZ and was a rough and unsafe town. It has since become this picturesque town with a beautiful beach on the far side of the island. We walked to Long Beach and spent some time there listening to the crashing surf. The walk felt like uphill both ways….we are discovering that there is very little flat land here in the North…because this is all volcanic land, it is a series of hills! It should work off the first NZ ice cream that we tasted that day!

We hiked to the top of Flagstaff Hill, another significant Maori site. It seems the flag pole, placed there by the British , was cut down 4 different times by various Maori chiefs. Finally, a group
intricate carvingintricate carvingintricate carving

The workmanship and detail were amazing
of 400 Maori individuals, representing many tribes, determined to replace the pole themselves. They hauled all the materials up the hill by hand (and we are talking a big hill!!) and replaced the flagpole, which remains in position today. It seems there were enough leaders, on both sides, with a vision for a peaceful and equitable co-existence and a willingness to make it happen, to overcome the challenges of merging and respecting both cultures.

Our hike back down was another scenic route with views of Russell peaking through the lush rainforest. We were serenaded by the constant sounds of hundreds of cicadas….it is a loud humming and clicking that literally fills the forest…and we have pictures!! At the bottom of the trail as we came out onto the shore again, our cell phone rang for the first time (we have it as part of the car rental…good for emergencies etc). It was Bill….and it seemed very special to be able to share such a beautiful moment with him. Ya gotta love technology!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Maori CanoeMaori Canoe
Maori Canoe

It's called a waka and needs 79 paddlers!
californian quail malecalifornian quail male
californian quail male

Proud dad...mom and 8 babies close by!
Kauri tree stumpKauri tree stump
Kauri tree stump

This is one of three trees used for the canoe...will see the Kauri forest later this week.
lush rain forestlush rain forest
lush rain forest

Our walk on the treaty grounds
rugged coastal viewrugged coastal view
rugged coastal view

Coast is very rugged with black volcanic rock
twins?twins?
twins?

We overdressed..and didn't realize we had chosen the same stuff! Not a look we'd go for at home...
cicadacicada
cicada

Their hum fills the forest
View of Russell from trailView of Russell from trail
View of Russell from trail

The views (as always) are amazing!
Call from BillCall from Bill
Call from Bill

A surprise call from home...


18th February 2007

What fun!!
Good for you guys...exciting trip. I will read on...all is well in boring Fla! Met Tully on trip home in Feb...now know true meaning of "Fat Cat"!!!! Have fun!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb