Short introduction to Waiheke Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waiheke Island
December 30th 2009
Published: December 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well our first small jaunt which got us out of Parnell and the City took us to Waiheke Island, a comfortable 35 minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland. My husband works with a professor who lives on the Island and he invited us for the day. We went late afternoon and did not know really what the plan for the afternoon was, unfortunately I did not take my camera as we were given a small but lovely tour of the island.

We first went to the small community art gallery, small but pleasurable as it was exhibits from local artists and probably something we would not have done had we gone there just ourselves. The main aim for those visiting Waiheke appear to be


Which of course is fair enough as it was the first time I saw a NZ beach and first thought was "now this is why I came to New Zealand". We saw the beaches along the north side. Amazingly long white sandy beaches with azure blue water! As summer was not at it's height as well we were able to see it in all it's glory without the crowds. Palm beach was our personal favourite. (It has to be noted though that there is stiff competition between beaches here in NZ and I want to be very careful in naming favourites). I think what I appreciate about all the beaches is access and size. No big hotels, no all inclusive that I am used to with the Caribbean. The beach is for all! Then it seems that no matter how many people there are, there appears to be space for them all. Anyway I am diverting.

After the beaches there is the vineyards sprawled beautifully across different areas of the Island. They are boutique wineries with lots to offer. I have shamefully forgotten the name of the local wine that we had for dinner that evening but it was good.

Speaking of dinner to round off the day we went to 'Vino Vino' for a lovely meal. The views over the bay added that little something extra to the whole experience.

So all this means is that we need to head back to Waiheke at some point to appreciate a little bit more.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb