Game Day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » South Auckland
February 19th 2014
Published: February 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

BMW : Day 2

Boss Hogg and I are up at 4am getting down the cuppas, she’s an insomniac and well it’s just my time of day.

5am, wake everybody else up, they struggle with the morning especially our Mongolians, “right that’s it, 4am for you lot tomorrow morning”. Some quick cereal or toast and in the van. Where’s Rachael? Straightening her hair, that really gets Harry going; she may get 3.30am tomorrow haha.

Still dark when we drop the team off at the paddock to walk the horses to the ground while Harry, Cody and I mix the high energy horse breakfast, a low order mix I am assured by Cody compared to the requirements of the high goal polo horses. After breakfast there’s time for a morning wash down, grooming almost have a team of horses ready to go into action.

Time to set up semi permanent facilities, our home away from home set up, out comes the Gazebo, select a spot by the field, out of the way under a shady tree, perfect.

Not to be, we are in the wrong place, oh, wrong paddock too OK team lets walk large open Gazebo
get there earlyget there earlyget there early

get to spread
all the way back to where truck is parked, THAT’S it everything is in the one place, chairs out, table up, let them try moving us now!

By the time we have inspected the nice heavy wood, large pen, covered yards, the large truck that holds 18 horses, gate dividers, CCTV, the immaculate fields every sort of mower that cuts, rolls, conditions, we have spent a few hundred thousand of Patrons hard earned mula, this actually bringing a smile to the Cody face.

Game at 11am so 10am Let’s dress the horses, leg bandages to help protect the tendons, tails plaited and taped, tacking up, probably the most complex bridling of any horse sport, all in the aid of good braking and turning. 4 riders in this Team, 4 horses each ready fully dressed and tacked 4 fresh horses in the waiting ready for a quick change over, these presented to the 4 riders at the end of each 7 minute chukka.

10.55am Photo op and a little warm up.

11am Whistle blows “let the Game begin”

Then the goals just kept coming, the photographer, polo groupie, goal umpire continually dodging flying balls and thundering horses, watching Uunee and Mamunaa ride opposition players each side of the goal letting Cody dribble between the posts, or Mamunaa streaking out of the huddle scoring a clean goal with a couple of hits, Robbie taking control of the game setting up goals, Cody cool as you please and keeping the team positioned.

12-3 a thrill for all involved, we are all hoping this bodes well.

2.45pm, “right you lot, over to the next paddock, show you what it’s all about.”

10 chairs, I am pleased we didn’t have to bring the gazebo as well! We are plonked in front of the first 16 goal game. It’s a great spectacle 8 horses and riders flat out from one end of the paddock to the other, huge skills and high energy.

Big Day

That night at dinner everybody is threatened with the 4am start, whooooooosh all gone to bed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

three riders three riders
three riders

three sets of gear
Top TeamTop Team
Top Team

Robbie, Cody, Uunee, Mamunaa
Uunee Uunee
Uunee

Winding up
MamunaaMamunaa
Mamunaa

Looking good
Between chukka'sBetween chukka's
Between chukka's

Moogy, Mamunaa, Robbie, Uunee, Cody
Cavalry chargeCavalry charge
Cavalry charge

Uunee trying to ride him down


19th February 2014

Love the updates - keep them coming! well done to the team.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb