1st 2 days in New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » South Auckland
March 16th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

Well what an amazing journey this last week has been.
The flight from Heathrow to LA was in daylight with fantastic views of Greenland, Canada, and the US. We had a stop over for a couple of hours in LA. Taking off as it was going dark, the lights from the city were like looking up at the night sky. Chance to sleep now as we fly on to New Zealand.

Sunday 9th March 5.45am. Landing safe and sound, out of the airport by 6.45am, we were met by our friends Alby and Linda who wisked us away to our first encoounter with Auckland. 'One Tree Hill' a dormant volcanic cone and once the site of the largest prehistoric Maori settlement in the region. It was named after the one solitary tree which was planted on its summit in 1640. Since then, a succession of single trees on the summit have been attacked by protesters wanting to draw attention to various issues. There is no tree there now, as it has been chopped down again by a Mouri as a protest, to the Mourie being disadvantaged over time.....................

Next stop 'Michael Joseph Savege' Park, this gave us more splendid views as we looked over to the Rangitoto volcano in the bay, just as the sun was rising. So now it is time for a dip in the sea how fabulous is that! Linda and I swimming in the sea at 10.00am on a Sunday morning and followed by a stunning breafkast sat outside in the wonderfull sun. We are reminded frequentlley that we must apply factor 30+ sun bllock as we will burn in no time under the clear skies of New Zealand.

On to 'Kelly Taltons' underwater world, Sting Rays, Penguins, Sharks, Lion Fish and much much more.

On the way to Massey and accommodation for the next Two days we pass a winary where Alby works, there are several large containers stood outside the building, these he tells us are awaiting a bladder to be fitted and then they will be filled with wine 1000,000,000 gallons of wine to be shipped of to Canada.


Monday 10th-
Refreshed now and ready to go our backpacks on, we take a short drive to the Waitakere Ranges just situated to the west of Auckland for a days hiking. Passing many wonderfull vistas and streams along the track to the 'KitiKiti' falls. Linda is very knowledgable about all things batanical and a mine of local information. It is very special haveing our own personal guide.
After a very pleasent picknic lunch, we were able to cool our selves with a walk through the surf of Phia beach, prized by locals but not well known to turists. Auckland's rugged, wind swept west coast beaches are within easy reach of Auckland, however because they are exposed to the Tasman Sea, swimmers and surferers have to excercise great care as the rip tides and currents can be treacherous.
Photos to follow I hope!









Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb