A sign of somefinn


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Ponsonby
April 23rd 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Auckland on Sunday evening and checked into our backpackers in Ponsonby. That evening we explored Ponsonby road and found a decent foodcourt for cheap and delicious Thai food.

On Monday, we walked across Western Park (Verandahs Backpackers sits on the edge of this green space) and into the city's CBD for a spot of shopping and general information gathering. By evening, we had worked our way down to the harbour and ate greenlip mussels and seafood chowder for dinner in a waterside restaurant/bar.

On Tuesday, we went to RockShop on K'Road - just to look at the Slash signature Les Paul Gibsons! Then, we headed out by car to explore some of the suburbs on the North Shore. We drove up to Torbay and then worked our way down to Devonport. Mainly, we were just getting a feel for the areas around Auckland should we end up finding jobs here...but we squeezed in the time to climb a volcano (Mount Victoria) for stunning 360 degree views of the area.

On Wednesday, we drove down to Newmarket to see some friends who run the "Organic Pizza Bar and Restaurant". Whilst we were there we indulged in
Verandahs backpackersVerandahs backpackersVerandahs backpackers

On the edge of Western Park
a delicious 12" half monster prawns, half lamb, mint and kumara. Highly recommended! Afterwards, we drove out across the Waitakere Ranges, stopped at the regional park information centre (and discovered that there are 22 species of stick insect, 16 species of gecko and countless other unusual critters native to this country) to superbly remote bay of Piha (coincidentally, the place where Neil Finn has his house).

(Whilst I'm writing this there is a huge green praying mantis walking across the table. Emma has decided he's our new pet, is now called "Harvey" and is attempting to feed him apple).


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Greenlip musselsGreenlip mussels
Greenlip mussels

Auckland harbour
Auckland by nightAuckland by night
Auckland by night

View from Verandahs' verandah
Lion RockLion Rock
Lion Rock

on Piha beach


28th April 2008

Agree with Em, that is a fabulous info board, never seen one quite like itX

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb