Day 193-195: Clarks Beach to Piha to Auckland, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » North Shore
August 7th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Clarks Beach to Piha to Auckland


Friday, August 7th


We woke to a misty morning in Clarks Beach, but soon the sun came out and the day turned into a beaut. We checked out late, asked Emily for directions to a certain post-office in Manakau and drove there to drop off the "guitar". It was the office the "guitar" was sent from (and on the way back to Auckland), so we didn't have to pay any postage fees for returning it. We decided against murdering it in the hopes that it will be replaced by a working specimen or, even better, a refund.

With that done we drove to Piha. We still had some cold symptoms so didn't want to go and infect Nicol, Mel or Keira. Later they phoned and said that they were ill anyway so we could visit without feeling guilty or infecting them. We were already in Piha so we decided to stay the night.

Ferdi did some admin while Talita took a nap. It was such a nice spot and we really enjoyed the late afternoon sun streaming into our van. After a shower we made dinner, then settled in for another movie.

Today's highlights:
1. Finding the right post office.
2. Enjoying the late afternoon sunshine on Piha.

Impressions of NZ:
This country is more than we ever imagined it would be. It's hard to believe that the entire world haven't moved here yet.


Saturday, August 8th


We had planned to drive to Nicol and Mel's early but the camp offices only opened at 9am and we had to wait to get our deposit back. We had breakfast then took a walk and spent a serene half hour sitting in the sun, talking and enjoying the peace and quiet.

At 9am we left Piha and drove to Auckland. An hour later we were back at Nicol's and were given a warm welcome, especially by Keira. We all piled into their car and drove into Auckland city to go car shopping. They are shopping for a seven-seater mommy's wagon for Mel. We found a gorgeous little 2005 Jimny for $10,000. We were tempted... After visiting a few more lots we spotted a Toyota Wish. Ferdi and Nicol took it for a test drive and had a blast driving around. The car was big but handled like a small car. Nicol really liked it, but it was a little more than they wanted to spend. They got all the car details and walked on.

We ended up in a Subaru lot and Ferdi spotted a gorgeous old STi. He and Nicol sat in it, absorbing the awesomeness that is the Subaru STi. In SA we couldn't dream of owning one of these, but here we could easily buy it cash! It's ridiculous! One day... One day... Talita spotted her car, a Subaru Outback. Very very nice!

Reluctantly we kept walking. Nicol spotted a music store and we sauntered in. Talita encouraged Ferdi to get a proper guitar and the sales person helped him get the right one. It's a black acoustic, got a built-in tuner and plays like a dream. Included in the package was a carry bag, extra strings, picks and a DVD to teach Talita to play too. This way Ferdi doesn't have to teach her so we won't get divorced before she can play.
😉
Very happy with his shiny new guitar we returned home. Mel made delicious roasted-pumpkin soup for dinner and we enjoyed a few whiskeys before bed.

Today's highlights:
1. Hanging out with the Smits again.
2. Sitting in a Subaru STi.
3. Ferdi getting his first acoustic guitar.

Impressions of NZ:
Cars are dirt cheap and houses are insanely expensive.


Sunday, August 9th


Happy birthday Werner old buddy old pal! The big 30 is upon ye! Argh... What will become of ye? We hope you have a smashing year and may all your dreams for the year come true! Keep walking!

This morning we continued our car shopping expedition with the Smits. We went into Auckland city once more, this time to an area where private sellers park and sell their cars. We browsed around and they found one car that looked interesting. They took a test drive while we looked after Keira. They were pleased with the car but not convinced yet so the search continues. On the way home we swung by a grocery store to pick up a few things, then returned home.

Some of their friends invited us to a braai and we headed over there. There was five couples and one single and almost as many children as adults. This, predictably, resulted in utter chaos. Apparently that's the way it always goes when the group gets together. There was lots of running, lots of crying, lots of screaming, lots and lots of noise. This made Ferdi wonder just how ready he is to become a father... Maybe not just yet. There's some more traveling to be done before we settle down.

We had a late but delicious lunch followed by two helpings of apple pie and ice-cream. Very satisfied we rolled home. The evening was spent watching Simpson’s and a movie.

Today's highlights:
1. Our first braai in ages.
2. Our first apple pie in ages.

Impressions of NZ:
Some "saffers" settle in easily while others struggle a bit, but it seems very few would ever willingly return to SA.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

New JimnyNew Jimny
New Jimny

It has got a special place in our hearts
If only...If only...
If only...

Yes, he is a boy-racer at heart
If only...If only...
If only...

The room Ferdi could not afford to shop in
Sweet AshtonSweet Ashton
Sweet Ashton

Lots of camp fire jingles in our future


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb