Rip-Off


Advertisement
Oceania » French Polynesia
January 4th 2016
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -17.5327, -149.838Moorea is known as being one of the most beautiful islands in all of French Polynesia - well, we wouldn't really know, because it pissed rain for most of the three days that we were here! You could argue that travel experiences can often be all about the timing, so you could blame our luck for this poor weather, but we did make a conscious decision to visit French Polyn... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Funky Little Roadster For Rent ...Funky Little Roadster For Rent ...
Funky Little Roadster For Rent ...

... but extremely pricey, and really not worth it for putting around such a tiny little island.
Big Ass Hermit Crab ...Big Ass Hermit Crab ...
Big Ass Hermit Crab ...

... This one was the size of a small orange.
Another Roulotte ...Another Roulotte ...
Another Roulotte ...

... these really are the places for a cheap meal in these islands - had we known how large they were, we would've just split one. Awesome lamb merguez, and a surprisingly good tuna sandwich, bursting with veg - lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers.
Roulotte! ...Roulotte! ...
Roulotte! ...

... Eating with our feet in the sand, with chickens clucking away nearby, completed the ambiance.
Best Roasted Chicken Ever ...Best Roasted Chicken Ever ...
Best Roasted Chicken Ever ...

... at La Paillote - the half chicken with fries was more than enough to feed two people, and the chicken jus served with it, well, you could drink it with a straw! So flavourful ... and cheap!
Island Salad at the Sofitel ...Island Salad at the Sofitel ...
Island Salad at the Sofitel ...

... local prawns, raw tuna, crab meat, snow peas, avocado, pineapple, coconut, ginger, coriander, pina colada emulsion - a pretty fantastic salad, with all manner of seafood and fruits and vegetables. The prawns and crab were the highlights.
Seafood Degustation ...Seafood Degustation ...
Seafood Degustation ...

... tuna sashimi, poisson cru, tuna tartare, sweet potatoes, and smoked fish salad. The sashimi and tartare were fantastic, featuring some truly top-notch fish.
Pineapple Ravioli ...Pineapple Ravioli ...
Pineapple Ravioli ...

... With pina colada emulsion, coconut sherbet, and homemade Bounty. We were a bit surprised, actually expecting a pineapple-stuffed ravioli of sorts, but not thin slices of pineapple stuffed with a coconut mixture! Coconut seems to lend itself more to an ice cream than a sherbet, and a creamy ice cream might have paired better with the dessert. The Bounty was good, but not significantly different from the candy bar version.
Perfect Profiteroles ...Perfect Profiteroles ...
Perfect Profiteroles ...

... Almost always disappointing, but not today - a rather simple, but excellent dessert.
Soup Ingredients ...Soup Ingredients ...
Soup Ingredients ...

... think we could make a soup out of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and salt and pepper? It's the only way we can save some money on food in French Polynesia!
Steamed Fish, Scallops, Shrimp w/ Sesame Oil ...Steamed Fish, Scallops, Shrimp w/ Sesame Oil ...
Steamed Fish, Scallops, Shrimp w/ Sesame Oil ...

... A bit plain, but it's hard to fault such high-quality and perfectly-cooked seafood. While not the fanciest hotel, our choice of the Hotel Hibiscus was an excellent one, due to its close proximity to good restaurants like Mayflower.
Lobster Ravioli ...Lobster Ravioli ...
Lobster Ravioli ...

... in a cream sauce. The pasta dough was a bit undercooked, but still delicious.
Salad With All Things Duck ...Salad With All Things Duck ...
Salad With All Things Duck ...

... Gizzard, foie gras, and smoked duck. Excellent, the gizzards surprisingly so, and the apples helped cut through the richness of the duck, and livened up an otherwise bland and simple selection of veggies.
Best Lagoon Excursion Lunch of the Whole Trip ...Best Lagoon Excursion Lunch of the Whole Trip ...
Best Lagoon Excursion Lunch of the Whole Trip ...

... The lagoon excursion is a must for any visitor here, and can be done on every island, but the lunches ... most were mediocre, except on Hiro's Tour. The quality of the food more than made up for the crowded tour. Pasta salad, poisson cru (the Tahitian version of ceviche), rice, super sweet pineapple, pomelo, and the best barbecued chicken and tuna, continually basted while it cooked with a sweet, teriyaki-like sauce.
If They Only Knew ...If They Only Knew ...
If They Only Knew ...

... Those poor chickens. Did they know that their brethren were being slowly barbecued, right before their eyes? The chefs did assure us that all their chicken was frozen, and shipped in from the US, not freshly-slaughtered.



5th January 2016

Sounds like you are having a good time already. Enjoy!
5th January 2016

Hi Clint and Sue. Looks like you had a good flight. Brings back memories of when Denise and I were on that same flight. You are staying across from Raffles, if you can you should try the high tea. It really is a very special time. China tow
n sounded amazing, we've had dinner there as well maybe not the same restaurant but it is very nice. Enjoy your stay. Cheers Bevan.
5th January 2016

Oops! How's this, well done you make travelling sound so easy and enjoyable, are you sure you don't represent a travel agent , happy holiday Judy & Ferris X
6th January 2016

You didn't tell us what you had for dinner when you met up with Vincent and his parents!!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb