Day 5 - Bora Bore (St Regis Resort)


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
December 13th 2014
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -16.4993, -151.74

After another good nights sleep we woke to a sunny morning in paradise. Yesterday we found out that the infamous Bloody Mary's is closed for the wet season so we have decided to go to the mainland today after breakfast and have lunch at the Bora Bora Yacht Club, a lively watering hole with a stunning waterfront setting for a casual meal of fresh oysters and Australian steaks.

We call for a cart and head down to breakfast, it is in the bar today as the rain did some damage to the main restaurant and the tradies are doing some repairs. Again the food is mediocre.

After eating we head to reception to suss out the requirements for getting around on the mainland. It seems we catch the St Regis launch and are then taken to Vaitape (Bora Bora's main town) by minibus and thats where it ends, we are then on our own and will have to draw cash out at an ATM to pay taxi drivers who don't speak english. Getting back will be hit and miss and usually involves a lot of waiting. It doesn't sound easy!

As we wait for the launch to depart, the humidity is starting to become oppressive and Deb starts to feel sick. Do we risk the trip with the hassles of an upset stomach or do we spend some more leisure time at the resort. Suddenly Rocket starts to feel squeamish as well (we think it must have been the breakfast) so our decision is made.

We hitch a ride back to our villa and read until we begin to feel better.

Around 11.30am, housekeeping want to clean the room so we head to the Aparima Bar and Deb orders a Hainie cocktail (the house special) and Rocket orders a beer. The cocktail has vanilla infused rum, coconut essence, coconut ice cream and coconut water all served in a green coconut husk, Deb comments that it is the most delicious and refreshing cocktail she has ever had.

We took some pictures around the pool purchased some mixers and headed back to our villa for a relaxing afternoon with some Bacardi and cokes on the back deck as the sun sets behind the mountain.

Tonight we decided to try the Japanese Saki Take Restaurant, Deb ordered stir fried noodles and chicken and Rocket had tempura prawns. Both meals were delicious but not fabulous, however they are the best we have had to date. The same meal at Osaka Japanese in Ashgrove AUD $60.00, in Bora Bora AUD $160 ah what the hell.

After dinner we dropped in to the cocktail bar at the Lagoon Restaurant to talk to our new friend and had another Cosmo for the road. In all another relaxing day.

Hint - beware that both Bloody Mary's and the best restaurant on the mainland, Villa Mahana are closed during the month of December.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb