Papeete Tahiti


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
August 18th 2014
Published: August 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Botanical GardensBotanical GardensBotanical Gardens

This is the guy that went boar hunting and caught his dinner for the night.
Papeete, Tahiti is actually made up of two islands Tahiti Nui and Tahiti Iti properly known as the peninsula of Talarapu. Most of the modern day urbanization has been limited to the larger island centering in Papeete the capital as well as Faaa and Pirae. The total population is just under 170,000 and it is alleged to have some of the world’s most friendliest people.

Today 6 of us hired a taxi for a four hour tour of the island, which cost $45:00 each, the driver had the personality of an entombed person, trying to get a word out of him was like pulling teeth, very difficult. One of our stops was the Botanical Gardens and when I was waiting for the rest of our party to show up a man walked out of the gardens with a dead boar in a duffle bag. He just wandered in to the gardens and killed the boar with a machete, put in his duffle bag and was taking it home for his tea, I have taken a photo for the blog.



Papeete city is not very clean reminds us of Colombo in Sri Lanka, but
BlowholeBlowholeBlowhole

Try to imagine how hard it is to get a selfie without knowing when the water is about to spray.
when you travel out of the city it is not too bad. On our return from our tour we went back to the ship for lunch and then decided to go ashore again and do some exploring, I.E. shopping. Not much to buy in the way of souvenirs, so went to a bar for a beer with Trevor and Sharon, we were advised in advance that things were expensive here and so they are. Five beers cost $60:00 but they threw in some free nibbles, from there we went back to the dock where every night, vendors set up mobile food vans, with all types of fare for sale. We were told to stay clear of the chinese as the locals sometimes use dog and rat as the main course. We opted for crepes and after waiting an hour and a half after placing our order got up and walked out. This is after two of the six of us had their meal served, and only two had a drink. It was utter confusion, the locals should have had a heads up that a ship was in town and put on more staff.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bounty memorialBounty memorial
Bounty memorial

Nothing else to say.
6 of us6 of us
6 of us

Liz and Howard, Judy and Greg [obscured] Jim & Colleen.
Local musos.Local musos.
Local musos.

Greeting us dockside at Papeete.


Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb