Moorea Day 3 Morning


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
January 23rd 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

DAY 3 MORNING

We got up early to catch breakfast because we had a full day of activities.

Our first activity was to go on a 4x4 with Albert Tours during the morning. Our guide Tom, picked us and two other couples up at 9am to start our journey.

The first stop was a local farm. We saw vanilla beans, bananas, and other fruits being grown. We sampled pinapple and were taught how to make vanilla extract at home. The vanilla beans were so reasonably priced that we bought some to try making our own extract.

Next, we were brought to one of the highest points on the island for beautiful views of the twin bays and panoramic views of the island. This is one of many spots on the island that can only be reached by 4x4 and Tom gave everyone a near heartattack when he let go of the gas and we were plummeting down an extremely narrow road with cliffs on both sides just so he can make a 3-point turn to give another 4x4 access to the only road up or down.

On the way down, we were shown Cooks Bay and given a bit of history about how the island is sinking and shown where Mutiny on the Bounty was filmed.

We made our way to Belvedere Lookout at the center of the island. This produced one of the most gorgeous views of the island. We stopped at a Marae (old Tahitian temple) and shown where tribal practices were held. We were given the chance to take a short hike to a stream.

Our next stop was the distillery and factory. On the way, we drove through a pineapple plantation. The Tahitian pineapples are much smaller that pineapples found elsewhere and can be eaten to the core. They are also so much sweeter than Hawaiian pineapples. The distillery allowed us to sample different local drinks and juices. Fresh Routi pineapple juice is the best we have ever tasted.

We were brought back to the resort shortly after noon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cook's BayCook's Bay
Cook's Bay

Beach where Mutiny on the Bounty was filmed
MaraeMarae
Marae

Tahitian Temple
Albert Tours 4x4Albert Tours 4x4
Albert Tours 4x4

Our Guide Tom


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb