'04 Radisson Grand Voyage-Segment 1


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
January 30th 2004
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

How big is the Pacific Ocean? Well after five wild days at sea from Los Angeles, we arrived in Hawaii. Because of forty foot waves and eighty-five mile an hour wind gusts in and around Maui, our itinerary was adjusted and we docked in Hilo on the “Big Island”. This was okay because we’d never been to Hilo.

Then, it was another five days crossing over the Equator, before arriving in Tahiti. Being back on Bora Bora after our honeymoon, twenty-five years ago was very special. It had grown, but we were most shocked to find that Club Med where we stayed had been demolished due to a hurricane in 1991 and rebuilt on the other side of the island.

Four more days at sea and losing a full day after crossing the International Dateline, we landed in Tonga. Still governed by a king, the “Tongan Way” is still alive and well.

Three days later we anchored off a South Pacific paradise called Iles de Pins or Pine Island, New Caledonia. What a beach party, champagne and caviar served by the crew from small barges in the surf. The crew enjoyed throwing some of the passengers into the beautiful lagoon.

With all these sea days, we have met many new friends, both passengers and crew; eaten in five different restaurants including at the Captain’s table and a private dinner in the galley with the chef and his wife; listened to a variety of guest lecturers including Hugh Downs; taken lessons on bridge and digital photography; played all kinds of games winning $700 at Bingo and the Casino; and enjoyed all types of entertainers. All in all “Living the Life”.

After 8268 nautical miles, we arrived in Sydney, Australia Monday morning to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge. That is where we will begin segment 2.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb