'04 Radisson Grand Voyage-Segment 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 26th 2004
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

What has six million rivets and weighs in at 52,800 tons? It’s the Sydney Harbor Bridge. We climbed its 42 story height, carefully planting over 1400 steps to the top. The bridge climb lived up to its reputation as a top notch, must do experience. After outfitting us in uniforms, radio headsets, hats and rain gear, we practiced on an indoor mock-up. Then off we went, clipped on to a special harness rail below the handrails of the bridge. The views from the top and the stories about the harbor were well worth it. Our calves were pretty sore for the next few days.

I often tell everyone that “good weather follows me everywhere” and this was very evident in New Zealand. After visiting Auckland, Christ Church, and Dunedin, we spent the day cruising through the Fjords National Park ending up in the pristine Milford Sound. It happened to be the Captain’s birthday, so he celebrated by edging the ship so close to a waterfall that we could feel the spray. I was told we were a mere meter and a half from spending the night there. He also made friends with four kayakers, who initially were not happy with our arrival in the Sound, by lowering some sandwiches and champagne down to them from the bridge of the ship by rope. We have missed the worst storms in New Zealand history and also the heat wave in Australia. Our weather has been pretty mild.

In Tasmania we saw the infamous “devil”, several kangaroos with pouched baby joeys, some wallabies, an emu, a koala, a wombat and a skink all in their natural habitat at a wild animal park.

In Melbourne we rode a tramcar through the city enjoying a high tea in an atmosphere much like the “Orient Express”. We also got a superb view of the city and surroundings from a 55 story office building with an observation deck.

In Adelaide we visited a winery and had lunch in the region where they make the famous “Yellow Tail Shiraz”.

In Albany we saw the oldest trees in Western Australia, the “Red Tingle” from a tree top walk constructed to run through the forest at tree top levels.

We are presently in Freemantle/Perth, one of the past “America’s Cup” race sites. It is truly a gorgeous city, sort of a cross between San Francisco and San Diego. A great place to start our third segment.

On board, one of the specialty restaurants, Latitudes, served up an authentic Australian “Bush Tuckers” menu complete with kangaroo filet, emu prosciutto and oven roasted buffalo. Quite different! The lecture series this segment included Irving R. Levine, Garrick Utley, and Marianne Davies (UK). The entertainment was Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (famous opera star from New Zealand) and the three Australian Tenors. Very cultural!

After 43 days, we’re still not ready to come home. Too much more to see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb